8. Embracing Family Bonds

Giri

The journey to her home was filled with joy, and Mom and I couldn't resist teasing her a bit, noting her eagerness to return home. Upon arrival, we were warmly welcomed, but she immediately went off with her siblings, seemingly caught up in the excitement of their reunion. It felt as if they hadn't seen each other in ages. Dad asked about our trip, and after some brief conversation, Mom joined her mother inside, leaving Dad and me alone. I seized the opportunity to ask him about the wedding preparations, especially with Anitta's wedding coming up soon. Anish joined us, and I took the chance to inquire about his work situation and plans for leave, learning that he would also be returning to work after Anitta's post-wedding rituals.

After a while, the other two siblings also joined us, and Anu sat beside her father. Anish initiated his teasing, prompting his sisters to respond, particularly Anitta, who delivered sharp comebacks. Amidst the banter, when Anitta teased Anish with a girl's name, he suddenly fell silent. Then Papa mentioned to me that once Anitta's marriage was over, we would need to arrange Anish's as well, as he was already involved with someone. We just had to pay them a visit and discuss a potential alliance. I simply nodded, glancing at Anu to gauge her reaction, but she remained seated, seemingly unaffected by the conversation.

Amid the lively atmosphere of lunchtime, Anu's mother warmly invited her to join our table, where I eagerly insisted on all of us dining together. With dishes piled high by both mothers, we relished a meal brimming with laughter and familial affection. Anu's father kindly extended an invitation to my mother to join them a few days before Anitta's wedding, but with a gentle smile, she declined, opting to arrive the day prior, ensuring that both Anu and I would be there a few days before. She explained that she and Gayu would stay together during their visit and would arrive together for the wedding festivities. Understanding her thoughtful decision, I nodded in agreement. After bidding fond farewells following lunch, we returned home, eagerly anticipating an evening of delightful company and scrumptious food with Gayu.

Although she appeared slightly subdued on the journey back, Anu made an effort to conceal her feelings. Mom suggested that we stay at her home until the wedding, at least five days prior, and she would also move in with Gayu that day. I nodded in agreement and asked Anu if she was comfortable with the plan. After receiving her approval, Mom advised us to visit some relatives before then, to fulfill the customary post-marriage visits. Upon arriving home, Mom informed me that she would rest until tea time, after which we would head to my sister's house. With that, she retreated inside, granting us some privacy.

Upon my return to the room, I found her already changed into a comfortable outfit, busily arranging her belongings in the cupboard. Not wanting to disrupt her, I also changed into something more relaxed and stepped out briefly, returning with chilled fresh juice to combat the sweltering weather. She graciously accepted the refreshment with a quiet "Thank you," while I occupied myself with my phone until the juice was gone. Eventually, I settled onto the bed and suggested she take a brief rest, knowing we had plans to go out again soon. Still feeling the lingering effects of exhaustion from the previous day's wedding festivities, I suspected she might be in a similar state. After organizing her belongings and settling them into place, she joined me on the bed, exhaling a sigh of relief.

"Anu, how do you envision your future?" I inquired, avoiding direct eye contact with her.

"Why all of a sudden are you asking this?" she responded, her gaze fixed on me.

"I simply wanted to understand your aspirations and hopes for the future," I clarified, finally meeting her eyes. "It's important for us to know each other's perspectives and address any potential differences in our outlooks."

"I don't have specific plans, Giri," Anu replied thoughtfully. "I've found that whenever I make plans, they often don't unfold as expected, leaving me feeling adrift. Instead, I prefer to embrace whatever life throws my way. I trust in a higher power and believe that my decisions are ultimately guided by it. I'll pursue what feels right in the moment, knowing that sometimes it may lead to missteps, but other times to fulfillment. Life is unpredictable, and I'm open to whatever it has in store for me."

After digesting her response, I wondered if she viewed our relationship through the same lens. "Does this mindset apply to our marriage as well?" I probed.

With a playful tone, she replied, "If you're asking, there's a slight twist. You were my Papa's pick, and he never led us astray. Among all the suitors, he was particularly impressed with you. And for me, his choice is the pinnacle. So, I thought, why not give it a whirl? But ultimately, it's our choices and actions that will shape our journey together. Does that alleviate any concerns?"

"At this moment, I'll say yes, and I want you to know that you can always come to me if there's anything bothering you or if you have any concerns about me. Ideally, I hope it's always me whom you turn to with your worries. We need to confine all our issues within the boundaries of this room. They should begin and end here, and most importantly, they shouldn't linger for more than an hour. If I'm in the wrong, feel free to point it out, and I'll do the same. Can I expect the same from you?"

"So for now, I'll say yes, but it'll also depend on my mindset at that moment. Usually, when I'm upset, I tend to stay quiet and need some time to calm down and return to normal. It's one of my weaknesses—if someone tries to calm or advise me when I'm upset, I can't predict how I'll react. I'll be like a unique case at that moment. Consider it a user instruction before you start using the product," she said, bursting into laughter, and I couldn't help but join in.

"Looks like we're entering the testing phase," I teased, a playful glint in my eye. "Time to see if this product lives up to its promises," I added, reaching out to gently tap her hand. She responded with a playful slap, maintaining the lighthearted atmosphere between us.