Chapter 26

Vox's POV:

"Hello??" I picked up the phone call from an unknown caller. "Vox, I've been hearing word you are looking to cross other rings," the voice said through the speaker, trying to seem all mysterious. "Ah~ okay, how about we start off with the normal, you know... hey this is blah blah-"

"Do not wear my patience out if you seek help," the male's raspy voice cut me off. "Asshole," I muttered under my breath as I rolled my eyes. "What is that you said?" The mysterious dumbass asked. "Oh, uh nothing... Anyways, yes I am looking to go into the rings. Uh so how exactly do you know that, mr. I'm gonna be mysterious?" I made a mocking voice at the end.

The man cleared his throat, clearly annoyed with my antics. "Word travels fast when you have your workers asking just any sinner on the street if they know a way into other rings," the man mocked me. "Wait what?! They are asking just random nobodies? Are you fucking kidding me?!" My voice glitched out in anger as I gripped at the arm of my chair.

"Would you like help or not?" The man sounded fed up. "Yes, yes I want your help," I muttered, rolling my eyes. "Come to the old gun factory tomorrow at noon, it must be you and no one else," the man said. "Dude this sounds stretchy as fuck," I said blankly. "Just come, or good luck finding another way in," he said quickly before hanging up.

"Fuck, I am so getting murder," I groaned. What other option did I have? Maybe I could send one of my workers dressed as me in as a prop dummy. Yeah... yeah that's what I was going to do. Bulletproof plan. Kinda.

Y/n's POV:

"So you used to fish?" I stared down at the fishing gear on the dock, completely confused by it. I had never been fishing in my life. Alastor started calling our time here the 'Break from society'. He said he used to take hunting trips every so often before he started well... you know killing and eating people. He'd call it the same thing on earth, the grand old break from society.

Eventually he convinced me to come fishing with him since I said no to hunting. "Oh yes dear, I used to fish and hunt, I was quite the outdoorsy person... for a bit of time at least," he hummed as he thought to himself, grabbing a fishing rod and bent down, grabbing some freakish looking hellworm out of the cup and sliding it onto the hook.

"I never been too into outdoorsy stuff, besides from living in a pretty small town or playing in the woods when I was young," I shrugged. "You played in the woods as a child?" Alastor looked up at me. I nodded slightly. "By yourself or with friends?" He seemed rather curious.

"Both?" My eyebrows knitted together as I was not sure what he was really getting at here. "Oh the forest is no place for a child to be alone," he shook his head as he looked away from me. "I don't know, my parents didn't really give a fuck," I laughed slightly as Alastor stood up and walked to the edge of the dock.

"Come dear, I'll teach you how to fish," Alastor looked over his shoulder at me. I nervously walked up to him, staring down at his hands on the rod. "I'll show you and then you can try it yourself... watch what I do," he smiled at me.

I nodded as I watched him flick back a lever thing, holding the thin line with his finger before throwing the rod back over his shoulder. As he swung the rod forward, his finger lifted off the line, sending the hook attached to the line flying far to the water. I watched the bobber floated atop the water, moving along with the small waves.

"Did you see what I did?" He hummed, looking over at me. "Yeah, move that thing, hold the line and then let go of it when you're releasing?" I replayed what happened in my head. "Precisely," he grinned at me.

"And then this part here, it's the reel seat, the handle here is how you bring the line back, also known as reeling in," he explained to me as he started cranking the handle slightly towards him. "Only do that when you catch something though, you'll feel the fish tugging at the end of your pole," Alastor said as he reeled the line all the way in.