R&D/Regulations - Dust Control - 2

A letter to CIC Board in response to the letter from DIR regarding Prison Colony Group 7 (A, B, C, D) and associated complexes:

[redacted by DCS]

The concerns of DIR and its subsidiaries are completely unfounded. This is to be expected as they, along with most of InterCons and the rest of the world, have not been given much information regarding AEDRP and its facilities. Giving them the limited information we did even seems to have been a mistake. 

Our subsidiaries, and those of DOJ that they work with, take safety very seriously. We assure you that our operations protocols and plant designs are made to protect the safety of the public and our workers while still returning a profit and/or delivering results. The safety of the Great Five-Tail River's water has not been significantly impacted. It was already polluted before InterCons and its prison colonies even existed because of uncontrolled or open sewage runoff and/or leakage from settlements along its banks. The rare discharges we make into the river are much less of a concern than the existing pollution is. 

The water we use for dust control and decontamination (as a safety measure to protect our workers, even if those that are prisoners) does make its way into our street drains. However, like all other current InterCons locations, we have combined sewer systems. This means that, under normal conditions, all runoff goes to a wastewater treatment plant. While InterCons' wastewater treatment capabilities are light everywhere (we're conducting R&D on improvements), this treatment does at least remove most suspended particles. 

During conditions of heavy load, which usually means significant precipitation (which is rare in this region), combined sewer overflows (CSOs) can occur. CSO discharge water only contains highly diluted waste, so even then it is not a large concern. However, InterCons implements its CSO mitigation strategy for all large systems, including ours. InterCons' mitigation strategy consists of a large retention pond that CSO discharge initially flows into. This offers storage of small CSOs and very light treatment of large CSOs. When combined wastewater and runoff flow into the pond, it is slowed down. This allows suspended particles to settle out of the mixture before the water flows out through the pond's overflow channels or pipes into the river. 

Additionally, at 7A and 7B, all we do is extract and process the [REDACTED] ore. This already can be found naturally in the area. The rocks with yellow material visible in them are [REDACTED] ore. This ore has been here since this land formed and has been leeching [REDACTED] into the water and soil the entire time. No effects are noticeable. 

In all, while we appreciate the input from DIR and its subsidiaries, we believe their resources are much more valuable and better applied elsewhere. 

-Department of Research and Development