Chapter 5: making friends is harder than it looks

A bit later, sometimes around sunset I was worrying why Lo'ak was gone so long with that posse of boys so I got on an ilu and started looking around the reef.

I didn't expect to see Aonung and his group back without Lo'ak. I guided the ilu up to them, they had somewhat guilty faces, I wonder what that's about.

"Where's Lo'ak?" I asked Aonung. He caught the others' eyes. I frowned. "Tell me."

Aonungs friends shrugged and Aonung turned back to me, "I don't know." He said.

"Right."

I guided the ilu underwater and away but I could feel their eyes on me as I swam away. I just went to shore and waited on the beach, watching to see when they got off their ilus.
When they did, it was dark out and I ran up to Aonung as he left his friends. His guilty face increased dramatically when he saw me.

"Where is Lo'ak?" I asked in a low voice.
-
I held Aonung by his queue braid so that he wouldn't get out of this.

I was leading Aonung straight to my father, he was sitting with Kiri comforting her with a hand on her back.

When dad saw us I shoved Aonung forward.

"Tell him what you told me."I said to Aonung, letting go of his braid.

Aonung looked at my father in then back at me before starting, "I led Lo'ak outside the reef to hunt, but left him there and he is not back yet."

He rather summed that up quickly, my dad wasted no time in telling Tonowari, I saw in his eyes how disappointed Tonowari was of Aonung, I might even feel bad if Aonung didn't leave Lo'ak outside the reef.

Nearly every man went out searching, right in this moment I wish I could ride a skimwing to help.

I couldn't stop worrying, I was pacing back and forth standing on the edge of the village waiting for some news of Lo'ak. Aonung was the only other one there and he stood very stiffly watching the water. I didn't care enough to talk to him and I really hoped he wouldn't start a conversation.

I guess my luck never wins out.

"I'm sorry, truely." He said, I just noticed Aonung turned around and was looking right at me, his eyes were guilty and his posture unusually more slouched.

"I've heard that one before," I scoffed.
He looked down and turned back around, as we heard the sound of horns. A small crowd gathered as Lo'ak came in riding on the back of a skimwing.

"The boy has returned!" I heard Tsireya yell.

Another person yelled, "it is the sully boy."

Some people muttered about him returning, I ran up to the edge and watched as Lo'ak got off the skimwing.

Once he caught sight of Aonung Lo'aks face got irritated and angry, I wouldn't blame him one bit if Lo'ak decided to get in a fight again. Dad walked up and stopped him before Lo'ak could do anything dad started checking Lo'ak over and muttering about 'let's have a look at you'

"He's fine," dad announced. "He's fine..."

I could see Lo'ak glare at Aonung from behind dad, I looked at Aonung and saw that he was staring right back with an expressionless face, but his eyes were filled with regret.

Mom came from behind and pushed right past me and held Lo'ak on his shoulders, Neteyam crouched next to me.

"I pray for the strength that I will not pluck the eyeballs out of my youngest son," mom said and made a grabbing gesture to Lo'aks eye. If the situation weren't serious I might be laughing.