SIX HOURS EARLIER

I was in the garden.

It was just past five in the evening and I had agreed to meet Parker at the end of the property. 

Parker was the love of my life. We'd met about three years ago when we were both newly turned adults. I wanted to marry him, but when I invited him over to my house to have dinner with my family, my parents banished him from our home. 

They claimed that I was to never see Parker again or else I would be left to live in the streets alone, abandoned by my family. Essentially, I could not be with Parker so long as my family lived. And with my father's money, access to the best healthcare and beneficial foods, I didn't think my family was going to die any time soon. And I did not want them to.

A part of me, at the time, was ready to run away and spend my life with Parker, the way it was meant to be. But the reputation my family had painted in the town would mean death for me on the streets. Although I never had a hand in the torment my family spread, the people did not care. 

Having my head would satisfy them.

So, I stayed quiet. And tried to ignore my breaking heart. But, weeks after the horrible dinner, when I went into the village part of our town to meet some of my former friends, I ran into Parker and we swore to hold on to each other forever. We found other means to communicate, keeping every thing a secret.

Parker was an escape for me, from my family. And I refused to let him go.

"How are you this evening, my love?"

I grinned, rushing to Parker who had climbed over the spiked gates separating my family from the rest of the world. No one but Parker knew of this entry to the manor. If they did, my family would have been attacked by now.

His arms immediately found their way around my frame, squeezing me like it was the last time we'd see each other.

After a minute of embracing and inhaling each other's presence, I finally pulled away, taking his hands into my own.

I squinted at his fingers in the dimming light of the sun.

"Why are your hands stained?" I frowned. "Do you not wash your hands? Peasant!"

My remark caused Parker to let out a soft chuckle. "I was picking berries for my mother this morning. They were especially soft and managed to stain me. I did, in fact, scrub my hands with soap and water multiple times, but the stains are resistant."

I nodded. "My family ate some of the softest looking berries this afternoon, a gift from one of my mother's friends. My father couldn't stop eating them. Perhaps the summer heat has caused the crops to spoil and become overripe this year."

Parker's eyes widened.

"What?" I looked behind me in alarm, afraid one of my brothers had found us.

Parker's lips curled into a small smile."Your family ate berries? Have you gone poor? Eating the food of the villagers?"

"Oh my God." I shoved him, rolling my eyes. "Shut up."

"Did you like the berries?" Parker asked, teasingly.

We shared a knowing look. I was deathly allergic to berries. So I had not tried any.

"Oh yes, I love putting my life at risk."

"Didn't think so," Parker smiled, wrapping an arm around my shoulders as we took a little stroll.

We talked and walked for what seemed like only a few minutes, but the sun had disappeared and the moon illuminated the sky. My eyes felt heavy and I let out a yawn.