PRESENT TIME

"Would the two of you stop fighting!" A woman snapped.

The yelling pulled me away from my thoughts.

"But Mom! He won't share the bread."

"Hush! We need to hide, there is a murderer on the loose!" The woman ushered.

I watched a young woman grabbed two little boys by their forearms and headed toward the only homeless shelter the town had to offer. The woman looked over her shoulder in what appeared to be fear. I noticed that she had bruises peppering her face, but she was beautiful. And when her bright eyes met mine, I could see pain. All she wanted was to keep her two boys safe.

My heart squeezed in sympathy. I wished my father would have donated his wealth to help the poorest of the villagers. There was so much good that could have been done.

The woman immediately dragged her children into the shelter, appearing afraid of me.

I broke eye contact and continued walking.

I needed to hide. If I was found by the authorities, I would be questioned. If a villager recognized me, I would be killed. I just needed to find Parker's house and stay hidden.

It had been about an hour since I fled my house. Whispers in the streets had found out that my family was attacked. Some people were pleased, others shocked, not knowing how such a rich family could be attacked.

I myself had no idea how someone managed to make it past our security measures. It must have been someone who worked for us. A maid. A guard. But why?

I tried to recall the route Parker had led me down many times toward his house.

On my right was a dark alleyway. I decided to turn down it to see where it led me. My decision was short lived when I was met by a mob of men angrily yelling at another man in the middle of the alley. Demands for money and yells of betrayal echoed. I immediately turned back around, running away. Whoever the man was, he seemed to reflect my step-father's personality. Someone who owed people money and refused to give it up.

I continued down the street, trying to blend into the crowd of people, not wanting to draw any attention to myself.

After walking for what felt like ten minutes, a familiar alleyway neared. I remembered always grabbing Parker's hand when we slipped through it, afraid of the dark.

I didn't have him with me this time. I took a deep breath before I began heading down the narrow alley.

I was about half-way when I felt a presence behind me. I tried to ignore the feeling, deciding it was just paranoia. But then I heard them. Footsteps. My heart raced. I swung around, prepared to attack to find a masked figure.

I swallowed nervously. In the dim lighting I could not make out much. All I knew was that the figure was much larger than me. There was no fighting them. No. I had to put on a front. Act unafraid. Hope they left me alone.

"What's a pretty little thing like yourself doing, strolling alone when rich people are dropping dead?" A familiar male voice asked.

"You know what you shouldn't do when rich people are dropping dead?" I responded.

"What?"

"Follow someone you don't know down a deserted alleyway."

A soft chuckle left the stranger's mouth as he stepped closer. "Oh, but I do know you."

My heart hammered aggressively but I managed to keep my voice steady. "Stay back. How do you know I'm not the killer?"

The figure pulled off their mask.

I felt my lips part in shock.

Parker's bright eyes shone in the moonlight as he grinned down at me, displaying his stained fingers, "Because I am."

The End.