1

1963,

I am awakened by my father who yells at me to come and help him from the kitchen, I look out the window sighing.

Sometimes I would love to be a boy so much and then I remember how disgusting they are, especially my brother.

Today is the start of the school year in my new high school, the Voltaire high school. It is one of the first high schools in France to test the girl-boy mixture in the same school.

- ANNIE!!

I sigh when I hear my father keep shouting my name. He wants me to help him place the new items on the shelves of his grocery store.

However, he knows that I will surely not have time with the start of the school year, but it's not as if he had something to do with it, it was my mother who insisted that I go to this school saying that it is an opportunity for me. Finally for my father, opportunity or not my future is already all mapped out; "she will take over the grocery store with her brother". Only, my whole family knows that my brother will never take back his grocery store, he will go to university but that my father doesn't care, as long as I stay, want something else or not.

My mother goes into my room and smiles at me.

- I won't be able to prepare in time if I help dad at the mom's grocery store. I say as I get up from my bed.

- I know my dear, don't worry I'll take care of your father go get ready.

She comes out of my room and I take the dress I had carefully chosen last night, then go to the bathroom to get ready.

I start opening the door but realize that it is locked. I drum the door:

- Daniel get out of here I don't have much time left to prepare!! I say by tapping on the door.

The door finally opens on my brother who despises me with his eyes, I do the same:

- What did you take so long? You're still so ugly. I told him with an arrogant smile.

- Don't talk to me like that, and hurry up to get ready, damn it.

I don't hesitate and quickly enter the bathroom. I quickly put on the yellow dress I chose, a pretty white pearl necklace and a yellow headband that makes perfect in my brown hair.

I quickly go back to my room, sit in front of my hairdresser and then put mascara and gloss on my lips. I tie my hair in half a ponytail and place a white knot on the top of the tail.

When I'm finally ready, I put on my heels and go down the stairs and then come across my father who gives me a black look;

- You're already dropping my grocery store for your stupid school. I knew it was a bad idea to send you there.

- You complained that my school was too expensive and now that I'm in a much cheaper one you keep complaining? I raise my eyes to the sky.

- I advise you to talk to me differently if you want to go to your damn school!

- It doesn't matter dad I have to go I'm going to be late.

I know that our conversation is not over and will resume tonight, but I really don't have time this morning.

I leave the house followed by Daniel who violently grabs my arm once the door is closed. I quickly turn to him;

- I'll leave you the bike for today because I have to join Jean-Pierre, I warn you in high school we don't know each other, never come and talk to me without a valid reason. He told me firmly.

- Oh okay, well anyway it's not like I was planning to come and talk to you or anything.

I'm trying to hide that his sentence hurt me, even if we've never been really close I didn't expect him to be downright ashamed of me. It doesn't matter, at least I don't have to walk. I take the bike and head to school.

On the way I watch the landscapes, the houses parade, the children play together. It makes me smile.

Once I arrive, I put down my bike with the others and head towards the big door. I take a deep breath;

- Everything will be fine Annie. I whisper.

By turning my head I realize that many boys have their heads turned towards me and look at me with a look.. disgusting, many also seem disturbed by my presence. I try to ignore all the eyes on me. In the distance I see two girls who are looking at the table of classes, so I decide to go to them.

- Hi! I tell them joyfully.

- Hi! We were just waiting for another girl to arrive. Told me a brunette with short hair.

- Yes, we were tired of the boys looking at us, at least now they are almost all looking at you! Telds me a blonde with braids attached.

- What? I turn around in a panic and notice with horror that she is right; But I have something on me or is my dress too short? I ask them with a slight panic.

If I get noticed on the first day I'm going to get in trouble with my father and brother.

- No no! Understand them, you are beautiful! Tell me the brunette.

- But you are so beautiful too, so why not you?

- And  you are nice! Oh and I'm Simone.

- And me Michèle. Said the blonde with a smile.

I see in the distance my brother looking at me, despising me as always. I swallow but focus on the girls in front of me.

- My name is Annie. I give them a big smile.

-There is one coming to us ! Says Simone.

Michèle and I are starting to turn around but Simone stops us quickly. Anyway, I quickly feel a presence next to me, so I move next to the girls to be able to look at it.

- Oh no!

- A problem? Michèle told him.

- My main teacher is blue beard! Tell the boy.

Michèle turns around followed by all of us, and we see a beautiful, blonde girl with an incredible blue dress. All the boys are looking at her, even the one next to us. I look at him frowning, he's cute but acts like the others.

- Do you know her? I ask him.

He shakes his head to say no. With the girls we look at each other and then the bell rings.

The general supervisor, Mr. Bellanger, begins his speech.

- Welcome to Voltaire High School! The 3 years that begin today will mark your life forever. In 40 years there will be names of teachers that you will still remember, philosophical compositions that will remain engraved in your memories. Among the faces around you today..

I feel a look at me and see Simone looking at me and Michèle, so I smile at her and take her arm.

- Which you will remember, for life.. Before leaving you in the hands of your main teachers, I remind you that Voltaire High School welcomes girls during this year. Gentlemen, I would ask you to welcome them with all the politeness, respect, gallantry and elegance of which I am sure you are capable.. in your best moments.

Some laughter is heard.

When Mr. Bellanger finished his speech, a teacher advanced to the front. She looks really strict.

- I'm calling the second 1 students!

- Is she a blue beard? Ask Simone to the boy.

He nods his head sharply.

- I thought blue beard was a man. Simone tells us.

- I thought blue beard was bearded. I say with a slight laugh.

I hear a noise behind me and see the boy laughing with me. I smile at him and then look away at the girls.