J.B.B. - Not So Bad

Summary: It's Bucky's birthday, but doesn't want to make a big deal out of it.

Pairing: Bucky Barnes x Reader

Warnings: Language. None, really just fluff. No mentions of Y/N.

Word Count: 1K

Ever since he's rejoined society and gained the closest thing he can have to a normal life, being a supersoldier and all, there's one thing that Bucky can't bring himself to do: celebrate his birthday.

The more memories he regains, the more he remembers a time where he used to celebrate his birthday with his family and his friends.

Sure, they didn't have much, but he had his mom and his sister and Steve. It was a simpler yet happier time, and he now all he feels is gloomy.

So every year he treats it like any other day. He trains and goes on missions if he has to, and if he's in the compound he chills with a book or maybe takes a motorcycle ride, never once even making it known to the rest of the team that it's his birthday.

"Seriously, Buck? That's how you're gonna spend your whole day?" Steve asks Bucky as they walk down the hallway towards their rooms.

"Yes, seriously." Bucky answers with a roll of his eyes. Every year Steve tries to get Bucky to do something more to celebrate his birthday, but Bucky never budges. "You know damn well what I think about my birthday."

Steve groans and stops walking, causing Bucky to stop too, and tries one last time before leaving Bucky to his sulking. "I know, but come on! Let's at least do something together. Let's celebrate your birthday like we used to, go to Coney Island or something. Don't spend the day alone!"

"We spend everyday together, Rogers. Sometimes it's nice to get a break." Bucky jokes with a smirk before he starts walking again and leaves Steve to chuckle and roll his eyes before he walks to his own room.

What neither of the supersoldiers realized is that they had stopped right in front of your room to talk, just as you were about to walk out. You stopped in your tracks and listened to their conversation.

It's Bucky's birthday? How did you not know that? Sure it's not like you're the best of friends, but you're still pretty close. You should've known that.

So you decide to do something nice for him today while still respecting his wishes of having a low-key day. You take your purse and jacket and head to the garage, getting into your car and driving towards the city.

Truth is, you've always had a crush on the Sergeant. It was hard not to when he looked the way he did, and he was as sweet as Bucky was.

As intimidating as he might look, you knew how shy he could be. He got flustered easily when he got a compliment, and you found him so adorable when he started blushing and stuttering.

You go to the bookstore you know Bucky loves to browse when he is in the city, it's a small store that's filled with second hand books. Bucky always said that he loved to give books a second chance, just like he got one after Hydra.

You look through the books until you find the perfect one: Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck.

The team saw the movie together when it was Steve's turn to pick, and as you sat next to Bucky you heard him quietly talk with Steve about the details they remembered from reading the book in the 30s.

You go to Bucky's favorite bakery next and buy two dozen of his favorite cupcakes, and when you see that they sell different colors of candles you have to buy a gold and black one.

You drive back to the compound and, after dropping the rest of the cupcakes in the kitchen for the team, you take one, putting the candle on top of it and taking a lighter. You go to Bucky's room, cupcake in one hand and gift bag in the other, and knock on his door.

"Come in." Bucky says from inside, thinking it's Steve coming to bother him again.

You open the door slightly and look inside, seeing him sitting on his bed with his back against the headboard and a book in his hands.

"Am I bothering you?" You ask hesitantly.

"N-no, you're not. Come in." Bucky says quickly, closing his book and sitting up straighter.

You open the door completely and enter his room, taking a couple of steps towards him before stopping. "I... I got you something."

Bucky's eyes widen a little as he sees the cupcake and the gift bag you're holding out to him.

"Did Steve tell you?" His eyes narrow a little, and you squirm a little under his gaze and shake your head.

"I overheard you talking about it..." You say quietly, a little embarrassed. "I get that you don't want a party or anything, but I thought... I don't know, I just wanted to do something nice for you on your birthday..."

You start to second guess yourself as he just looks at you and, just as you're about to backtrack on your stupid idea and leave him alone, he smiles brightly at you, sitting on the edge of his bed and patting the spot next to him.

You sit next to him and you put the bag on his bed so you can light the candle and hold the cupcake out to him with a smile. "Make a wish."

Bucky thinks about it for a second. He knows what he wants to wish for, the thing is he already got his wish: you in his room, sitting with him on his bed. But he makes his wish anyway before blowing out the candle.

He wished for you to be his.

You smile at each other for a moment before you snap yourself out of it, shaking your head a little and picking up his present and giving it to him.

He puts the cupcake on his nightstand as he takes the bag and opens it and you can see his face light up when he sees it as he runs his fingers down the cover before looking at you with a smile. "Thank you, doll."

You smile back at him and lean in to kiss his cheek. "Happy birthday, Bucky." You say before getting up and leaving, letting him have his peaceful day of relaxation.

Bucky watches you go with a slight blush, his hand over his cheek where you kissed it and a goofy smile on his face.

Perhaps celebrating his birthday is not such a bad thing after all.