Never say never

I beat the dough starting with intense concentration as it folds.
Each hit is stronger than the last and my tactic of feigning nonchalance is beginning to thwart away.

"You're ignoring me"

I sprinkle a little flour on the dough just like Betty–one of the lunch ladies taught me and continue kneading it hoping she comes soon so I can avoid this conversation.

"What did I do?"

That got me to pause but only for an unnoticed second before I continued kneading.

It was about what she didn't do. Till date,I couldn't understand what made me blurt that out but more so,why she didn't get the fuck away from the moment I said that. After I blurted that out,we finished peeling the onions in a  tense atmosphere that had settled and, I had been ignoring her ever since. It was also easier to do since she was only here on Wednesdays and Saturdays.

Betty walks into the kitchen and when she begins sending orders my way,Arial leaves.

I had maneuvered my way into middle grounds with the lunch ladies. They weren't all closed up when I got to know them and eventually,Betty and I became close.

                         ~~~~~~~~~~

As usual, the canteen was filled with noises in every corner but more chaotic and messy since it was a Wednesday.
Arial hadn't uttered a word to anyone after what transpired earlier. Generally,she was bubbly and always smiling, helping anyone she felt needed help.

It bothered me even though I would never admit it and that in turn irritated me.

A scowl slips on my face and I dump a ladle full of mashed potatoes on a guy's lunch tray.
I was on lunch duty today. Betty put in a word for me and this was a form of promotion.

The guy quirks an eyebrow at my expression then begins to snicker when his gaze meets the hair net on my head.

"What's got your knickers in a twist, dude?",Shawn appears as annoying as ever.

"I always look like this",I say dropping an extra ladle full of lumpy potatoes on his tray.
"Enjoy", I say with a dry look.

"In fact I will but answer my question because I'm not buying the I always look like this. What's wrong?"

A buff guy behind Shawn shoves him off the lunch line.

"Are you girlfriends done kissing?. I'll like to be served now".
He shoves Shawn's tray aside and fills the space with his.

For measure,I dig the ladle down into the large pot and drop the chunks of mashed potatoes who were not lucky to undergo the full mashed potatoes experience and with a dramatic clang drop it on his tray for emphasis.
"Enjoy",I say with a smile.

He gives both Shawn and I the watch your back sign before storming away.

Shawn ignores the glares he receives from blocking the line whilst moving aside for the next person in line and  maneuvering around to avoid bumping into them.
I had long ignored him after yelling at him to get out of the line failed. He stuck his tongue out at me and made a dramatic antic of how he'd missed having lunch with me and how this was the first time in a week we were spending lunch period together.

Loud bursts of laughter catch my attention and at my far right,Dione–one of Rick's friend is speaking to Arial.

What is Arial doing out here?
She isn't supposed to be out of the kitchen.
Where did Betty go and why did she leave Ariel there?

Ignoring the protests behind me,I march towards them watching as a stupid smirk appears on Dione's face with his hand stretched into the small circular hole in the glass pane to Arial.