Chapter 2 - Concealment

The second day of Shinyu's existence at the university came just like that.

He spent his day yesterday alone in his room, playing some music and studying whatever he felt intrigued with.

Shinyu had the privilege to get a one-person dorm and decided the best to live alone. His room was minimalistic and neat. Few musical instruments for him to play with here and there, a small study station he made on his desk, and nothing else. Others were just his daily necessities.

Shinyu woke up precisely at 6 to one of his favorite songs he set as an alarm. As if moving like a puppet, his limbs moved on their own to do the morning routine he had made himself used to. Shinyu took a shower, brushed his teeth, applied his skincare, and opted for a plain white shirt with sweatpants. Still having another 2 hours before his first class, he decided to visit the gym and warm his body up.

Upon arriving at the gym, Shinyu was amazed at its interior, to an extent he could proudly remark as complete. List any equipment and the room has it provided. The other thing he found delightful was that the large room was almost empty. Few people minding their own business and he could mind his own too.

Shinyu didn't waste any more time as he found the treadmill machine, going only for the cardio today. Pressing the buttons, he set the speed to the average for jogging and started his run. His ears were plugged in with his earphones, listening to calming music that never failed to soothe his oversensitive senses. Even the slightest bit of noise could alert him back then. And it was music that helped him stop all of those antics.

Shinyu was appreciating the art of nature behind the giant glasses in front of him, when someone suddenly stopped themselves beside his treadmill, leaning their arms on its handle. Shinyu stopped the machine and realized it was Mingyu who had come.

"Mingyu-hyung?" Shinyu asked, plugging both his earphones out.

"Hey, didn't expect to meet you here," Mingyu greeted, showing his canine smile.

"Just warming up, I suppose,"

"Interesting. Heard that you were the MVP of the basketball game yesterday. There were so many videos of you on the campus fansite and I could see just how amazing your plays were! It was exactly like what Chan mentioned yesterday," Mingyu praised, his eyes sparkling under the sunlight. His tanned skin was glistening in sweat alongside the muscles bulging off his outfit, a testament to his dedication when it comes to his build.

The news caused the shorter's hand to rake up behind his neck, caressing it uncomfortably. Being in the center of attention had always been something he despised. It would always end up bringing up all of those memories of that one specific night; the night his younger self almost lost its mind.

His breathing was almost hazed from the memories if it wasn't the male in front of him bringing him back to his consciousness, who was practically squealing at his play yesterday.

"Well, now that you're cardio-ing here, might as well just accompany you, isn't it?" Mingyu ended his genuine shower of praises that left him breathless, already climbing to the treadmill beside him. He turned on the same speed Shinyu was applying to his own and started jogging, watching Shinyu as he expected the latter to continue together.

Shinyu caught the sign and turned his machine back on, continuing to jog alongside the morning companion.

They spent the moment in silence, occasionally stealing glances at each other. Mingyu could start noticing the flushed state Shinyu was in, with the obvious pink dust all over his cheeks. He had to hold back the temptation to swipe his finger on those beads of sweat dripping down Shinyu's forehead, distracting himself with the greeneries in front of him instead.