CHAPTER 1

The sun hung low in the sky, casting long shadows across the backyard. Luke sat on the porch steps, squinting at his smartphone screen, oblivious to the golden rays that danced around him. His fingers flew across the touchscreen, navigating virtual worlds with the ease of someone who had spent more time in pixelated landscapes than under the real sun.

"Luke," a voice interrupted, pulling him back to reality. Sam leaned against the porch railing, a bemused smile playing on his lips. Sam was the opposite of Luke—outdoorsy, tanned, and always ready for an adventure. His camera hung from his neck, a constant companion capturing the wild beauty of the world.

"What's up, little iPad kid?" Sam teased, ruffling Luke's straight black hair. "You know, there's a whole world out there beyond those screens."

Luke scowled, but the corners of his mouth twitched. "I've been busy," he mumbled. "School stuff, you know."

Sam chuckled. "School stuff? More like 'Minecraft' stuff." He gestured toward the yard. "Come on, let's soak up some vitamin D. You're practically translucent."

Luke glanced at his pale arms, then back at Sam's sun-kissed skin. "I'm fine," he insisted. "Besides, you're the one who's always off on some exotic photo shoot. You're like a human sunbeam."

Sam's eyes softened. "Yeah, well, someone's gotta capture the world's beauty," he said. "But you, Luke, you need to experience it firsthand. Not through pixels, but with your own eyes."

Luke sighed, closing his phone and following Sam into the yard. He squinted against the brightness. "I don't get it," he said. "Why do you love the outdoors so much?"

Sam crouched down, examining a ladybug on a dandelion. "Because out here," he said, "you can't hide behind screens. Nature's raw, unfiltered. It reminds you that you're part of something bigger."

Luke frowned. "I'm fine being small," he muttered. "Screens keep me safe."

Sam tousled his hair again. "Safe, maybe. But not alive." He stood up, scanning the horizon. "Look, Luke, life's an adventure. You can't experience it from your room."

Luke looked down. He knew that Sam was saying those things for his own good, even if he didn't like to leave the house for a while. He felt honored for having a big brother who cared about him, more than anyone else.

"Yeah, maybe you're right."

~~

The next morning, Sam left for work. His camera bag slung over his shoulder, he kissed Luke's forehead and promised to bring back stories from the wild. Luke watched him drive away, a pang of envy mixed with pride. Sam was living the life Luke dreamed of—one filled with open skies and untamed landscapes.

Three days passed, and Sam's absence stretched like a shadow across the house. Luke tried to convince himself that his brother was simply on assignment, lost in some remote jungle or perched on a cliffside, waiting for the perfect shot. But doubt gnawed at him. Sam always called, always sent a photo or a quick message. This silence was unnatural.

Late at night, Luke sat on the edge of his bed, staring at the moonlight filtering through the window. He clenched his fists, frustration bubbling up. Why hadn't Sam returned? Why hadn't he called?

The police offered no answers. They searched Sam's apartment, questioned his friends, but found nothing. No clues, no leads. Luke's anger turned to desperation. He scoured Sam's belongings—the old leather journal, the faded map of uncharted territories, the worn hiking boots. Anything that might reveal where his brother had gone.

And then, in the dim light of dawn, Luke made a decision. He would find Sam himself. He would follow the breadcrumbs of memories, the echoes of laughter, and the whispers of the wild. Because brothers didn't leave without a trace. And Luke refused to accept the void Sam's absence had carved into his heart.

To be continued...