Luck of the Irish

The bright sun had just crept over the hills and trees and pierced through the windows of the 6th year boys dorm in Gryffindor tower.

As the sun reached his eyes, Seamus Finnigan woke grinning ear to ear.

Today was the day. The most wonderful, fantastic, grand, spectacular day. And that's because. . . it's the luckiest day.

That's right folks. Saint Patrick's Day is the day when the phrase "the luck of the Irish" is the truest. Particularly, for Irish witches and wizards. Who needs Felix Felicis, when you can just be Irish on St. Patrick's Day?

Seamus usually used his luck for Quidditch, good grades, & breaking some minor rules without getting caught. This year however, he had a plan. He needed this plan to work. So to ensure extra luck, he sprang to his feet, quickly got dressed, grabbed his Cleansweep4 aside his bed & flew out the window. Luckily, none of the boys woke up to the sound of the crashing glass.

"Reparo" Seamus said pointing his wand at the window, and he set off towards the Forbidden Forest. He had heard the Irish folklore. His mother and grandparents had told stories about this place. He had also heard about the dangers of the forest from 6 years of school with Harry and Ron. He wasn't worried though. He had luck on his side.

He flew several miles following the arc of the morning rainbow over the forest. He finally came upon a beautiful clearing amongst the trees. He landed smoothly at the end of the rainbow next to a pot o' Galleons.

He reached into the pocket of his robes, pulling out a tiny instrument. He cast engorgio, revealing a full-size hand-carved Celtic harp.

He reached out his hand, grabbed a Galleon, turned it in his hand 7 times, tossed it an old looking oak tree, played a traditional Irish tune on the harp, and began to sing.

Great Leprechaun, great leprechaun,

I come to you with this little song.

I'm channeling your peppy spirit,

Oh I sure hope that you can hear it.

I seek the power that you can grant me,

I seek the power of the ancient oak tree.

Yes I seek! (the luck of the Irish)

Yes I seek! (that you grant my wish)

With a final strum from the Celtic harp, the rainbow exploded and the oak tree began to rumble. The bark turned green and a slew of four leaf clovers sprang from the ground all around Seamus. Soon, Seamus couldn't see anything except four leaf clovers and a swarm of green.

After several minutes, the last of the clovers fell to the ground and revealed, was 33 leprechauns. They began marching in circles around him and playing their Irish tin whistles. As their song gradually sped up, so did their marching speed, until eventually the 33 leprechauns were sprinting around him in circles playing "Flight of the Bumblebee" in unison. In the whirl of green, beautifully played horrific noise, and confusion; Seamus heard a low voice that must have been that of the Great Leprechaun say, "Seamus Finnigan, your wish has been granted."

Seamus woke with a start, and peeled himself off the wooden floor. Where was he? It took a while for his vision & brain to clear from the green noisy chaos he had just endured. When he was finally able to focus again, he realized he was in the broom shed. I wonder why, Seamus thought to himself.

Just then, Harry Potter walked in. "Seamus there you are! I've been looking all over for you! I wanted to let you know, a spot opened up on the Quidditch team. You're a chaser, congratulations!" He started to walk away with that good news bomb, but did a 180 jump facing Seamus again. "Umm, why are you here? Did you know that I was going to put you on the Quidditch team?"

"No idea," Seamus said shrugging. "Luck I suppose."

"Right then. . ." Harry said curiously. "Well see you on the Quidditch field dude." He said with his best bro voice. He gave Seamus finger guns and did another 180 jump before swaggering out of the broom closet.

"Ok. . ." Seamus said to himself. "2 of my minor wishes have been granted. 1) I'm on the quidditch team. 2) Harry Potter acting very awkward not knowing how to act around the incredibly cool Seamus Finnigan. . . Will my 3rd most important wish be granted?"

Seamus stood leaning against the wall, wondering. He also wondered whose spot of chaser he took, feeling a twinge of guilt.

"Hey" said a smoldering voice coming from the door.

Seamus looked up to see the sexy silhouette of Dean Thomas in the doorway, sun shining behind him. He for sure new what he was doing.

"I gave up my spot as chaser. I did it for you." He said with his sexy smooth voice as he walked over to Seamus. He inched closer to closer to Seamus until they were face to face. Seamus could feel Dean's hot breath against his skin and his heart rate quicken.

Seamus closed his eyes and leaned in for the kiss. But instead of feeling Dean's lips, all he felt was a slap in the face.

He opened his eyes seeing that Dean had vanished. He lowered his gaze to see none other than the Great Leprechaun standing before him. He may have been small, but the stern look on his face was something to fear. Unlike the other leprechauns all clad in green, the Great One wore a gold suit and top hat. He had a white beard that almost touched the floor and was smoking a pipe. 

"You stupid selfish horny teenage boy!" He cried, looking up into the 16 year old's startled face. "You really thought I would grant such a wish?! You idiot wizards wishing to solve all your problems with magic. Use your words and tell the boy how you feel. Seriously!" And with a final look of disgust, the Great Leprechaun vanished, leaving a stunned Seamus Finnigan to contemplate his life in the broom shed.