Chapter 11 - The Murder

Her ears buzzing, Kiara tried to get hold of what Dan just said.

He knew the plane would crash?

He knew my father would go down with it?

Wait...not he, THEY!

Kiara breathed in a chunk of air as if her life depended on it. It took much effort to regain her senses and come back to reality. She looked Dan in the eye and asked icily,

"Who the hell are they?"

Dan remained silent, his eyes darting between Ved and Kiara.

Kiara took another step towards him and stumbled. Her leg cried out loud and, for a moment, took her attention away from the throbbing pain in her temple.

Immediately, the same warm hands held her from falling.

Kiara didn't push Ved away. She needed that warmth like she needed air right now.

"She asked you a question, Officer," Ved's voice was as cold as the look in his eyes. As anger pulsated through him, he pierced Dan's gaze, seeking answers.

Sensing that his silence was about to cost him the battle, he gave away,

"The Ministry of Health."

"What do you mean the Ministry?" Kiara asked under a bated breath. She was barely able to keep herself from grabbing Dan by his collars and punching him in the nose.

While Dan formed a response in his head or decided how much to reveal, Kiara closed and opened her fist to let her anger dissipate. Ved saw through it, slipped his right hand down her arm, and covered her fist, trying to absorb her building rage.

Kiara felt a sense of calm battling her rage. She used the warmth around her fist to regain her sanity. She was going to need it for this discussion.

She decided to use the accusation to make Dan talk, scarcely hoping it would work on this seasoned police officer.

"Answer me, Officer. Did you just kill my father?"

Dan's shoulders slumped. He took a step closer to Kiara and spoke in a stern voice,

"Ms Sharma, I understand you are too emotional to think clearly right now. But please understand you are accusing a police officer of murder."

"Then what did you mean that you knew this plane would crash with my father in it?" She felt her voice rise and channelled her anger at him.

No, I won't lose my cool. I need to pull out answers from this man. She told herself.

She opened and closed her left fist three times until Ved slipped his hand over it. He was not leaving her alone to battle this.

"Let's talk inside," Dan said and took a step back. He started to move towards his car, and Kiara followed, Ved at her heel.

Dan sat in the front. Ved helped Kiara lower herself in the back seat, and then he went around and opened the door to enter from the other side and sit next to Kiara.

"Not you," Dan stopped Ved before he could enter.

"Why not?" Kiara interjected.

"Because it was your father in the plane. The box was locked with your birth date as the pin. And none of this concerns him. This is serious business. It will be just the two of us having this discussion or no one at all." Dan spoke in one heated breath.

Kiara had to make a choice. But she knew Dan was right. Ved didn't have anything to do with all of this except that his stepbrother got injured in the accident.