Chapter 14 - Hello, brother.

Why?

Why?

Why?

"Why, Officer?" Kiara blurted out, sounding a little too loud for her own ears. From the corner of her eye, she spotted Ved turn in her direction at the sound of her voice.

Dan went blank for a moment. Kiara's tone was defensive, enough to indicate that this conversation was about to get more difficult.

How do I make her believe me? He thought.

"Because, Ms Sharma, you are not safe. The people behind this plane crash are too dangerous. I gave your father my word that I will protect you and your brother. Just deploying a few officers at your home will not suffice. There was a mole in the department. Who's to say there aren't more? What if Automne Care reaches you or your brother despite the protection I deploy?"

"And what if they surpass you? You don't sound too confident in the abilities of your own force, Officer. What if the mole manages to harm you to come after me?" Kiara asked Dan.

"I cannot promise how things will turn out. But I am taking your protection into my own hands to avoid taking any chance. This is the best I can do."

"And what of my brother? Are you going to bring him here as well? Will you take the both of us under your protection?"

"My chosen officer is speaking with your brother in Manchester right now," Dan told her.

Kiara felt her eyebrows meet in the middle.

My brother was informed of this conspiracy by someone in the UK? It should have been me!

"Officer, did you inform my brother of our father's plane crash? How much does he know?" she asked him.

"Someone from the Ministry was sent to speak to him. He revealed everything to your brother a few hours ago. We offered to bring him to India so we could protect him, but he refused."

"What? You offered? Officer, if my life here is in danger, my brother is all alone there! Why didn't you tell me before approaching him? It should have been me giving this news to him. You overstepped every limit!" Kiara was shouting now. She didn't realise when Ved stepped in next to her, "And what about my mother? Have you told her anything at all?!"

Dan eyed Ved and huffed, "Mr Verma, this is a private discussion. I will have to ask you to leave, please."

"Private discussions are not undertaken in a public place, Officer," Ved remarked, calm as the ocean before a storm. He looked towards Kiara, seeking her approval for his riposte.

But Kiara's gaze was fixated on Dan. She was too engrossed in putting together the pieces of this puzzle to notice the cold war brewing between Dan and Ved.

Fuming, her hands fisted, and she asked again,

"Officer, does my mother know anything at all?"

Dan turned to look at her and shook his head.

"No, your father's instructions were clear. Protection was to be given only to you and your brother. Your mother was to be kept out of this."

Why?

Why?

"Why the hell would my father refuse to arrange for protection for my mother? They were married for thirty-five years, Officer. Just because they divorced two years back surely doesn't mean he would want her harmed. I think you are missing something. I need to speak to my mother and my brother."

***

"Yes."

"So, what do you think?" Kiara asked Ahaan, her brother.