III

Ada

I ran through the forest, following the men in front of me, when we emerged through the trees and were met with a large building. It looked like a prison.

"Open the gate!" The man called, 'Rick' yelled.

A young boy and a woman opened the gate and shot the walkers that were near us.

We all ran through the gate, and the two people closed it behind us. I stopped to catch my breath shortly before looking at the men holding my brother.

"What's going on?!" The woman spoke with a strong accent.

Do these people live in a prison?

The men carrying my brother ran farther to the other gate, and the boy and the woman went with them. Feeling anxious, I followed closely behind them.

We ran through the other gate and into the prison.

The halls were dark before someone turned a flashlight on.

Eventually, we came upon what looked like a small commons area.

"Hershel! We need help in here!"

An old man, who I assume is Hershel, stood up and walked over with crutches.

My eyes widened as he stood up.

He doesn't have a leg.

I tried not to stare, but the momentary look of shock on my face was probably noticeable.

"Come on in here!"

They took my brother through another door, and into a cell.

"What happened out there?" The old man asked as he began to pull the knife out.

I walked closer into the cell feeling myself shrink as everyone stared at me for answers.

"He- he just passed out, fell on his knife," I spoke.

The old man looked at me and nodded. He began to wipe off the blood as the woman from before walked past me, handing him bandages. "What's your name, sweetheart?" The old man asked me.

"Ada," I answered.

He put the bandage on him after he finished cleaning Scott's wound.

"Well, Ada, I'm Hershel. And I'm terribly sorry we had to meet under these circumstances." He smiled at me.

I nodded, appreciating his sentiment. "Is he gonna be okay?" My voice quivered.

He nodded. "The knife didn't hit anything important, it's an infection that's worrisome."

My eyes widened. "Well, what if it's infected then?!" I asked frantically.

He put a hand up. "It shouldn't be, I was only stating a possibility."

Well, you shouldn't have.

Hershel got up, using his crutches. "He should be fine, but just for precaution, Rick?"

Rick walked past me and over to my brother. He pulled out handcuffs and cuffed one of his hands to the pole of the bed. He turned around, "Best case scenario, he wakes up perfectly fine." He walked past me and patted me on the back. "Hope he does." The gesture was nice, but it didn't stop the panic.