Chapter 2: Bias of two evils.

Above is a map of Eldrasia, the continent where most of the events of the Spellslinger series occurs.
.
.

I remained in the room for about ten minutes before a guard arrived to escort me out.

“Took you long enough.” I sighed as I rose from my seat.

The stoic guard bowed his head.
“The deceased clan prince decreed that you are a guest of his and should be treated with appropriate respect, forgive me for my tardiness.” He spoke like he was reading from a script, his apathy was not lost on me.

He gestured to the door before departing through it, I followed him into the winding hallways.

After a little bit of walking, I arrived at the gate of the palace.

I turned back to look at the building to see seven coloured lights shining into the sky.

“Those are the sacred lanterns. They are lit only in times of great tragedy.” My confusion must have been obvious as I heard an unfamiliar voice explain the lights’ significance to me.

A man dressed in flowing robes appeared in my vision. A suspicious smile was plastered on his face.

“Huh?” Who is this guy?

“My name is Ra’meth, head of the House of Ra and-”

“Lord magus of the Jan'Tep, right?” I completed his sentence for him, I was beginning to find these people too predictable….

His smile faltered for a second before it was back with full deceptive force.

“Yes, that is correct. I already know you, Rimuru Tempest, so no need for introductions.” I don't know who this guy is trying to fool but it's pretty obvious that he doesn't have any favorable opinion of me whatsoever. Why was he hiding it? That's unlike a Jan'Tep.

“Hm, okay. So, can I help you?” I wanted him to make his intentions clear, dealing with these types of people was tedious.

“Ah yes. As a Lord magus and head of a house, it is my responsibility to care for the clan prince's precious guest. I am here to escort you personally.” That didn't really give me any information…

“Is that so? Why can't I just stay here in the palace?” I wasn't actually interested in doing so, but he doesn't know that.

“The process to select a new clan prince will begin soon, I fear it wouldn't be courteous for a stranger to be within the palace walls.” I don't really get it but if he's attributing it to their customs, I couldn't argue.

“Selection process? How does that work?” Something told me that his true intentions lied here.

“The Jan'Tep High Council is responsible for that. The new clan prince would be selected from among the Lords Magi, ideally, the most capable one will be chosen.” We started walking, Ra’meth taking the lead.

“Lords Magi huh, so that Ke’heops guy is a candidate too.” I threw out a name in hopes I might get something.

Ra’meth delayed a bit before answering.
“Indeed, he is. Now let us hurry, it's dark and not a fitting time to be walking the streets. I would like to have a long chat with you later though, I am very interested in someone so valued by the clan prince.”

So that's what it is…

The selection process hadn't even begun and this guy was already planning to use me, I'm kinda impressed.

This guy could probably sense that I wasn't what I seemed, it would be too out of place for the clan prince to suddenly grant me honor if it wasn't the case.