16.

A few days pass by and my friends often visit, but I always turn them away at the door.

I walk the empty halls of the school while everyone is in class. I make my way to the library and go to the very back where I always do and look through the magical creatures section, looking for anything on Obscurials or Obscuri.

As per usual, I don't find anything, no matter how many books I scour.

"I thought I would find you in here." Professor Lupin's voice makes me jump.

I close the book I was reading.

"Madam Pomfrey said you like to go on walks during class time when no one else is around. And the library happens to be the quietest place of them all."

"I like to read. It distracts me from other things."

"Judging by the books you are looking at, it hasn't distracted you from everything... You won't find books about Obscurials in this section. They are all in the restricted section."

"I thought I couldn't go in there. I mean, it is called the restricted section."

"You can if you have a teacher's permission."

I look him in the eye, "Are you giving me permission?"

"I doubt your curiosity will halt until you learn what you so disparately want to know." He smiles, "So, yes. I will permit you."

Lupin leads me to the blocked-off section of the library and he says to Madam Pince, "She's with me, Irma."

With much reluctance, Ms Pince moves the rope out of the way, obviously not wanting to let a student into the restricted section, but Lupin stands his ground and she lets us both through.

Professor Lupin walks past several shelves before stopping in front of one and walking down the aisle until a certain point. He runs his finger along the dusty shelf and plucks a single book, "This should do the trick."

He hands me the book and it feels like it will crumble if I turn the pages, "Why are you doing this, Professor? There isn't really any reason you should be helping me."

"The reason is your friends, Charlie. They won't stop asking questions. The more they ask, the more likely I am to crack and tell them the truth which I'm sure they would prefer to hear from you." He says while he continues to scan the shelves for any more books.

"So you're only helping me because you want me to talk to my friends again?"

"Yes and no. I think talking to your friends again would be good for you. Reading that book will tell you that. But I also know you and your curiosity. And as your teacher, it is my job to fuel that curiosity." He points to the tattered book in my hands, "That book will answer all of your questions and ease your mind. I'm sure of it."

"Thank you, Professor Lupin."

I sign out the book with Lupin's signature and return to the hospital wing minutes before classes end for lunch.

The book makes a cracking sound when I open it and I'm scared the pages are going to fall out. I carefully turn each page as I read and learn about Obscurials.

When a magical child is forced to suppress their magical abilities through psychological or physical abuse, they will begin to develop a parasitical force of dark magic called an Obscurus.

Only Obcsurials with the strongest magical ability can live beyond the age of ten. Even so, the Obscurus within will slowly poison and kill them by consuming all remaining magical power the child possesses. The few witches and wizards on record that lived past the age of ten still went on to live shortened life spans due to the severity of their condition.