Chapter 05

Chapter 5

WE ARE on our way to one of our houses - the one that was named after me. We three have inheritance when we turned eighteen, and one of those is a house.

"Kuya, why did mommy changed? She was not like that before..." Mal said while we are walking on the streets, only having our valuables.

"Let's just say - she never really changed. Let's think of it like her original self. The change she got was when we were together, and she turned to her old self after the separation," I said, while gripping on my phone. I still can't believe how far she can go just to get what she wants.

"Why are those kind of people existing? Can't be the world just be full of genuine love?" Mal asked that made me look at Mona who's at Mal's right. Mal is walking between me and Mona.

I looked straight on our path, "Let's just say... the world needs balance. Just like how a plant needs both sunlight and rain. If the plant only receives sunlight, it would dry. But if the plant only got rain, it would drown."

"People are born to have sins and wrongs, Mal. There is no one in this world that lives without sin. The only difference between people is that, the way they would overcome that sin. Are they going to change it for the goodness? Or are they going to make it into something worse? Wishing those kind of people never existed, is like wishing there are no humans at all," said Mona that dug deeper into my chest.

"The world would pe peaceful if there's no mean people," Mal said, still standing on her claim.

"The world would be different, yes. But the world being peaceful? No. Even if all people are kind, natural disasters would still occur. And as time goes by, people would adapt greediness and hatred once more. It's part of life, because we're humans. But the choice is yours if you're going to stand strong or hide being weak," Mona continued explaining her stand.

"I thought God loves us? There's love in the whole world, why would be there disasters? Isn't he going to be happy that people became kind? Why would he punish us?" Mal asked once more as we stop walking in front of our new house.

Muli kaming nagkatinginan ni Mona, pareho na lang kaming napabuntong hininga at pumasok sa balkonahe ng bahay upang buksan ang puting pinto ng bahay.

"You know, God doesn't punish people just because they're mean. He never gives punishment. The natural disasters, those cannot be stopped. It cannot be avoided. It would happen, even if there's no human in existence at all," I smiled and pulled the two inside the house.

I opened the lights and air conditioning, and closed the door. I sighed and pulled them both on the couch.

"Let's just say it this way, those mean people in your life serves as a molder for you. And as time goes by, you will be molded in something you never expected yourself to be in. Because of them, you will learn how to strong, how to fight, and learn how would you overcome the next challenge that's going to come in your way," I smiled and caressed Mal's hair.

"Yeah, think of them as lessons at school. They could be annoying and draining, but they are beneficial for you as you grow as a person," Mona agreed.

"But why did mommy hurt us? I thought... we're family? Daddy said family should never hurt each other," Mal said while fidgeting with her fingers. I know why she has so many questions, she wants us to be entertained for some time. This is what she do even before, when we were scolded by mom.

"I don't know... Because I don't know what family is, myself..." I said, leaning back on the couch and heaved a sigh. "I thought family should never hurt other, too."