Five

The pothole littered street was going to break down Grace's little car one of these days. It was bouncing her around more than a shoe in a dryer. Reid looked unbothered but she'd seen him reaching for the passenger side handle above the door when he thought she wasn't looking. "We're nearly there," she assured him.

They'd been in the car for close to an hour by the time they reached the parking area for the hiking trails. In the middle of summer, the area was fairly deserted. Only two other cars were parked on opposite sides of the small lot. Grace slid her car into the spot closest to the entrance with hopes for an easy getaway.

They'd need a low stress exit after the hike with all of their video equipment. No doubt she'd be carrying it both there and back since Reid would be worn out from dancing. She didn't mind, not if it was going to help get his name out there.

As it turned out, walking while someone drives slowly alongside you scream-singing along to the radio is an excellent way to wear down a person's resolve

Reid had indeed rented a car and a nice one at that. They had the windows rolled down to let in the floral scented breeze and the radio dialed down to a volume they could easily speak over. They hadn't said a word since Grace had reluctantly climbed in. All of Reid's shouting and cajoling had stopped after reminding her to wear a seatbelt.

When she risked a glance at him, his eyes were locked on the road ahead and his grip on the steering wheel looked strong enough to snap it. A knot of worry formed in her stomach the further they drove. They'd been together long enough for her to know what his nervous ticks were. This was something else.

Maybe in the time they'd been apart he'd joined a cult. Right now he could be driving her to their secret headquarters where she'd be inducted into the secret society. Or maybe he owed someone money and she was his ticket to freedom. She had no way of knowing where they were except for the map displayed between them. That wasn't much help when she didn't have a wider reference of where they were.

Grace chided herself on how ridiculous she sounded. This wasn't some thriller movie where she'd be forced to fight for survival. The knot in her stomach loosened only to tighten again. Wasn't that exactly what people thought just before the murderer stepped out of the shadows? She glanced at the road as they sped over it, gauging the distance to the tree line. Jump, duck, roll, and run. It would be that easy.

The car swerved a little and Grace shrieked. "Don't kill me!" Dead silence followed. The radio switched to some corny love song and she reached out to turn it up. Anything would be preferable to the awkward stillness going on.

"Why would I kill you when there are dozens of security cameras showing us leaving the hotel together?" Reid asked.

"If you're trying to be reassuring, you're doing a horrible job," Grace said. One hand slid from her lap to grip the door handle.

"Grace, stop, you're being ridiculous," Reid told her. He reached out to turn the music back down and turned onto another road headed towards more populated streets.