Missed ya (Spud and Sarah)

The warm campfire casted it's pleasant rays on sarah, pushing the darkness away, she could feel the s warmth as she stared blankly at it.

 She was the only one out here, in the dark lone forest, she'd usually never do this, she wasn't the type to stay out late like this....but after what had happened..the incident as they say...she'd been feeling different. 

Like a shell of her former self.

She sighed and clung into herself, bringing her head to her knees, taking in the gentle forest sounds, yeah no, nothing made her feel better about herself yet. Not the gentle coo of the wind nor neither the chirping of the small critters would help...even the sound of soft footsteps-

Footsteps?

She pulled her head up and looked around, peering into the darkness, then she saw it. Something lanky crawling towards her on it's arms.

She almost had a heart attack until the colored flames painted the true nature of the mysterious beast. Two darkened eyes and a mouth going vertically across the face, a bucket resting on its head as its elongated arms held the body to make up for its missing legs.

It was Spud.

Sarah sighed "hey frank..." she muttered. Refusing to call him by its new name..well technically the old nickname she gave him long ago..

"H-hi spud" he crawled towards her and occupied the space next to her,"spud how are you spud spud?" she sighed and picked up a stick "fine...I guess.." she poked the fire with the stick, playing with it.

"...spud...you sure spud?"

"Mhm...nooothing to worry about here...haha" she tried to laugh it off but saw spuds concerned manner and dropped the act quickly, shutting herself up. Awkward silence filled the air as she tossed the stick into the fire, before zoning out again.

"Spud....you're not like...afraid of me right? Spud"

Sarah snapped out of her trance, looking at spud in disbelief 

"What...no no of course not frank! Why..? You're my best friend and- and-" the thought of just being even a tiny bit afraid of spud made Sarah's heart shatter...

but she had to admit it deep down, 

she really was afraid of spud. 

Whatever freak he got turned into, it scared her, he wasn't the happy-go-lucky chubby frank, who'd always face paint and play with children, now he was this beast who'd run around rampant and scare all the residents who'd even come close to seeing him.

She took a shaky breath "I'm not afraid.." she lied a little "it's just you're so...different now..you're um more.." she glanced at him briefly "..depressed?" She tried to think of something to save her ass.

Spud chuckled, which was pretty unexpected since she thought spud would get mad or upset "oh spud...you silly spud...I know you're afraid..but spud I can't blame you for it..Look at me spud...I eat squirrels now for spud's sake!" He joked, probably his coping method, Sarah stared at him in disbelief.

"But..spud..I mean hey...at least spud the children still like me.."

"They point and whisper about you frank."

"Still better than running away and screaming spud"

"..." Sarah just looked away, feeling a wash of guilt take up her heart, he let out an exhale as she wiped away some of the newly formed tears in her eyes, spud noticed.

"Spud...are you crying?"

"N-no..it's just...chilly"

"Sarah.."

"Look I-I just can't right now-! I don't know why but I can't.." she looked at spud with glossy eyes "I can't fucking face this frank. I can't accept this..I just can't even wrap my head around this shit.  The kids almost fucking died. The fucking GOVERNMENT came. And then- and then- YOU. You turning into this...THING and and-..." she broke down sobbing "all because of..SPACE CATS?? FUCKING HELL MAN....fucking hell.." she hiccuped "this is so ridiculous I'm just.." she broke out a paradoxical smile "god why am I such a mess? Why do I feel so guilty? I know I couldn't control this but..maybe- if I had done something DIFFERENT...and...I'm..." she hung her head low "I might betray you frank."

"If you betray me, you'll betray yourself....spud..."

She tilted her head towards him, silent...

"I know.."

No one said a word, it was just Sarah's hiccups filling the echoing chamber..spud felt..sad..sad for Sarah, he hated how he looked sure but seeing Sarah lose her mind and having to deal with a situation that she has little involvement with is definitely worse. Well, at least from his perspective..so he tapped her on the shoulder

"Huh..?"

"Hey spud watch this."

He pressed on his bow and a few seconds later it spun around automatically, Sarah bursted out giggling, wiping her snot "oh you.." she broke out a grin

Spud gave a smile, he prepped himself up "say...spud..I still have some spud face paint back I think...spud...you wanna um come?"

Sarah wiped her messy face a little and looked over at spud, giving him a warm look, she got up after him

"That sounds lovely..sure."