chapter 12

Everything was dark as I opened my eyes and I found myself surrounded by a thick fog of black smoke that made it hard to see more than two feet in front of me.

Groaning, I sat upright and rubbed my head, confused as to where I was. 

“Why did you come here?” A voice rang in my mind.

Gasping, I turned around in search of its origin but it was hard to see anything through the fog. I faintly could make out the walls and broken ceiling lights above me but still had no clue where I was.

Seeing no one around I tried to remember what happened before I passed out but the only thing that came to mind was–

My stomach dropped and I paled as realization dawned on me. S-59.

“i am not a plaything for you humans to toy with.” the voice said with a hiss, but this time it sounded like it was off to the side. Slowly I turned my head to peer through the fog. If I watched long enough I could make out the faint silhouette of someone standing there.

Questions raced through my mind As I tried to comprehend what was happening.

How am I even still alive?!

After a moment the figure moved, disappearing from sight and my heartbeat raced a bit more. I looked all around me, trying to catch some kind of glimpse of the creature but it seemed to be moving, never staying in one spot for more than a few seconds. 

“You humans are afraid Of what you don't know, what you don't understand. Yet you continue to push and push.” The voice echoed, sounding like it was coming from all directions. 

Panicked I started scooting backwards until my back hit the wall and I found myself cornered.

“You mess with things beyond your understanding, unknowing to the consequences of such actions!”

The voice spoke with malice. 

The figure reappeared Again before me, slowly stalking closer. It's soulless blank white eyes practically glowing against the dark fog.

my heart pounded In my chest as his massive stature all but Towered over me.

“You poke and prod with your needles and equipment calling it science. Expecting to learn all there is to know, uncaring of the damage you do, or loss you obtain.”

I squeezed my eyes Shut as it came closer and I could practically feel it looming over me. “Tell me why.” it demanded.

I could feel a hot breath fan across my face as I sat there fearfully. Unsure of how to respond. if it didn't like my answer, would it kill me? 

Despite all that, as seconds ticked by I grew more and more curious about the creature before me. I couldn't understand it, and so many questions were racing through my mind As I tried to come up with an answer. Why is he asking me this? Why hasn't he killed me already?

Like a flick of a switch it suddenly dawned on me and my eyes flew open. “Curiosity.” I replied excitedly. The creature before me flinched back surprised and I briefly saw a seam disappear across its face where its mouth should have been. S-59 looked very humanoid in appearance with its overall shape, especially its face. Besides the white eyes, black shadowy Skin, and lack of a mouth, it still showed expression, something few creatures other than humans are capable of.

“But Curiosity isn't just a human trait… nearly all living creatures have it.” I spoke up. No doubt that was the reason I was still alive, S-59 was curious. “Even you are affected by it.”