chapter 28

(note: this chapter has had major changes. please re-read!!!)

–1 week later– 

The sound of a throat being cleared dragged me out of my daze as I lifted my head to see none other than Kerian looking at me from across his desk. 

“you've been zoning out a lot these past few days. Did something happen outside the labs?”

blinking a few times I shook my head to clear it before responding. “no, nothing.” I turned my head away, feeling overwhelmed by the awkward standstill.

Kerian hummed before deciding to move on to the matter at hand. flipping through some papers he spoke up without looking at me. “Is there anything you can think of– any reason for why the subject will not interact with you?” He asked.

“no.” 

Kerian proceeded to tap his pen against his desk as he watched me. Today was another failed test. S-59 had isolated himself within his vault refusing to come out or speak to me. I was just as confused by the strange behavior as the rest of the scientists.

Kerian seemed particularly irritated over the sudden change with s-59 and all the other subjects but refused to say anything about it. Sometimes I'd see him pacing back and forth and he always became frustrated when 59 refused to come out of his vault. 

He has been beyond busy with all of this going on but seems particularly bothered by s-59. all the other subjects have gone into a trance but 59… he seems to be an abnormality with the recent change. along with subject 32 who has practically gone missing.

disappointed in the answer, Kerian leaned back in his chair, before standing up. 

lifting my gaze watched kerian, as he stepped around his desk to stand before me. “Ava, I do not want to be enemies, I know you see these creatures as more than just monsters but they cannot be trusted. I want to make a deal with you. I know you don't agree with everything that we’ve been doing and you don't want to be here anymore so how about this, you help me accomplish our mission and I will get you out of here… I mean it, work with me and I can free you. you are the only person capable of getting that thing to talk or cooperate. we need you to work with us.” He reached out his hand expectedly but all I could do was stare at his palm.

‘free me? Is this really the tactic he's going to use? bargaining my freedom?’ looking up at kerian his deep blue eyes were cold and held no compassion. he's completely heartless, and manipulative, why should I trust him?

After a few moments of silence, when I didn't take his hand he lowered it, balling it into a fist briefly before stuffing both hands in his pockets and leaning against his desk. 

“I see…” he mumbled in a disappointed tone. He stared at me for a long moment as we sat there in awkward silence. "I can't force you to cooperate, that much is clear and I have a feeling if you learned the truth you would deny it and continue on as you are...you are a stubborn woman.”

glaring at kerian I bit my tongue. I can't say anything, I can't expose what I already know or even hint to the fact I may know about their true goals. it would put s-59 in danger…

“You are dismissed.” He turned away, walking back behind his desk to sit down.

getting up from my seat I made my way out of the lab without looking back. I needed to find some way to speak with S-59 alone. It was the only way I would get any answers and figure out why he's been so unresponsive.

 Continuing to walk down the hall I passed numerous guards and scientists but paid them no mind because I was so caught up in my thoughts.

I'm doing the right thing, it doesn't matter that 59’s not human, he doesn't deserve to be treated like this… I've seen his kindness and how gentle he can be. He just wants to be left alone! Why can't they see that? if he was free he would just hide away from the world where no one could bother him. How does that make him so dangerous?!