Chapter 1: Family-Dragon Encounter

The chief of the clan sat alone in the Great Hall, he was going through drawings of him, his son, and his two adopted children, Raf and Miko. It was far pass midnight, and yet he was awake. He sighed both heavily and tiredly, "Why did you three pull that stunt?" His voice was shaky. Placing his arms on the long table and his hand against them, his eyes began to fell. A dreamless sleep carried him away.

"You're still doing this?" Fowler asked, annoyed that he was still doing it.

"I haven't been able to sleep ever since-"

"Jack, Raf, and Miko pulled that stunt and never came back?"

"Yes."

"Jake," Fowler began. "There hasn't been a dragon attack ever since they did that. You should be proud of them. Even if they didn't make it back."

Jake didn't answer, he only got up and walked out of the Great Hall. He walked through the morning sunlight to the workshop. His hand traced the tools, deck, and undraw papers. He went back to when Raf was a hard at studying, Miko always being full of energy, and Jack ... his son ... taking carry of them. Memories that wouldn't bring them back to him.

It's now late afternoon and the sun is setting when the most unbelievable thing happens. "DRAAAAAAGON!"

"What?!" Jake turned to see a dragon coming straight at him. Talons were extended to grab him. Fouler pushed Jake and they both fell to the ground. Both men snapped their necks to the flying lizard. It was all black with light blue eyes, and there were blue markings on its wings, front legs, neck, and face. It was studying them from on top of a house. "Get the nets and weapons!" Jake exclaimed. What took this dragon- All of a sudden, two more dragons swopped down and tried to snatch Jake. Both Fouler and Jake rolled and dodged to avoid being snatched. Getting on their feet they saw the other two beast perched themselves on top of the same house the first one perched on.

Jake quickly looked at each of these monsters. He found the smallest was brown with emerald-green eyes, and it also had markings, but they were black. The second biggest was also black with light purple eyes, but its markings were pink. All in the same place as the first dragon. The beasts stayed perched on the house. Even when warriors came with the weapons and nets, they remained perched.

"What are those dragons doing?" one of the warriors asked.

"Probably planning how to eat us!" another exclaimed. After a full thirteen and a half minutes of waiting in anxiety, the first dragon started to climb down. Jake saw it wasn't here for a fight ... despite how it acted. And he saw it in the others as they started to climb down.

"What are they doing?" a random warrior asked for everyone. Then the dragon with pink markings made a smile at Jake. It tilted its head at an angle. Jake recognized the smile. It was Miko's smile! But where did it learn it?

"Where did it ...?" The next thing Jake or anyone knew was the dragons' markings glowing and a flash of light. Jake and Fouler along with the warriors covered their eyes to block the blinding light. Removing their hand (or arms) after the blinding experience, they saw not the dragons, but three human beings they all thought to be dead. "Jack?" Jake turned his head. "Raf?" he turned his head once more. "Miko?"

"Hey Dad." Hidden tears streamed down Jake's face. He bolted to them without knowing. His arms wrapped around Jack, and he pulled in Raf and Miko. Then tears of their own streamed down their face as they fell to the ground.

"We thought you three died," Jake chocked. "After you all vanished."

"Well," Miko began in an upbeat tone. "We're here now."

"Wait a minute!" Vince called out. The orange haired jerk came out from the crowd to the reunited family. The four released each other and turned their heads to Vince. "They been gone for twelve years, and they just showed up when dragons attacked us!" he pointed out. "Doesn't anyone else find that suspicious?!" he demanded. "And where did those mons-"

"Call dragons monsters one more time and I'll rip your tongue out!" Miko words made silence fall upon them.

"Miko," Raf began, "you know he's not a dragon killer?"

"Yeah, but I still would."

Dragon killer? Jake's mind wondered.

"What are you kids talking about?" Fowler asked.

"We're not kids anymore, Fowler." Jack wasn't wrong. They were now in their twenties and was the dragons' markings on their skin?

"Let's go to the great hall and you three can tell us what happened to you after you that stunt." Jake stood up and the trio followed him. Along with everyone else, Vince was getting a strange vibe off of them.

How did they get back? Only dragons can fly! It's not like they could fly! Vince was wrong. They CAN fly. And he was about to find out.