ℙ𝕣𝕠𝕝𝕠𝕘𝕦𝕖

Footsteps ran towards the manor, injured bats covering the concrete floor as the Batfamily emerged over the ledge, looking at the damage. Red Hood, Nightwing, Batgirl, Robin, and Cardinal looked at the damage in fear, wondering where Bruce was.

Cardinal couldn't handle it longer and ran in first, fear overtaking her body. She heard the calls of the others, but she ignored them. She heard everyone else following pursuit as she leaped over some debris, panic starting to settle in.

"If you're watching this...I'm dead. This is a Code Black. This message was automatically triggered when I destroyed the Cave and everything it contained..."

Cardinal slid onto her knees, picking up a gauntlet with the blinking beacon. Robin spotted some blood, looking at Nightwing. Everyone took a look around before Nightwing spotted him, "Over there!"

"I know what's coming won't be easy...but then..."

She saw Bruce's arm sticking out from under a giant piece of rubble and everyone rushed over, lifting the rubble away together, seeing the dead Dark Knight.

"Nothing we do is easy..."

Robin and Cardinal wanted to rush forward, but Red Hood held back Robin and Cardinal was held back by Nightwing, who held her close as Batgirl kneeled next to Bruce's body. Robin shoved Red Hood's arm away, taking a few steps back before he started breaking down.

"I've prepared for it as best as I can...I know you have too..."

Nightwing and Batgirl exchanged looks with each other before the latter gently closed Bruce's eyes. Cardinal also broke down into tears, making Nightwing tighten his hug around her and gently kiss her forehead with Red Hood placing a gentle hand on her back.

"I'm sorry it's come to this..."

Despite the tears, all five of them went over and gently lifted his body to take him somewhere else so that no one knew that Bruce was Batman. Just as they left, they could sirens and helicopters coming towards the location. Cardinal swallowed her tears as she looked down at the damaged and bloody body of Bruce, feeling tears making their way out again. She felt Jason's hand on her waist again, making her look over at him. Even with the mask he had on, she knew that he looked at her with empathy and care.

"We both know it won't take long for Gotham's criminals to realize the Batman is gone. And you can't count on the GCPD. Haven't trusted us since Jim died. I'm leaving you the Belfry as a base of operations. Some of the technology is outdated, but it has the gear you need and all of my files..."

The funeral took place some days later. It was a rainy evening and everyone was there, ranging from the Batfamily to relatives and coworkers. Jacob Kane, the uncle of the Wayne family, stood at the podium to give his eulogy.

"Many of you knew Bruce from Gotham's celebrity pages. A handsome, charming billionaire. And he was that...but he was more than a headline. He was my nephew...he was a friend, a mentor, and a benefactor to those of us gathered here today..." Jacob said as the camera pans to everyone else.

Dick Grayson was standing with Alfred, holding an umbrella over the both of them while Tim stood next to him on his own. Tim...was trying his best to keep his tears in. Jason, Alison, and Barbara were nearby under their umbrellas. Alison stood with Jason while Barbara stood several feet ahead of them. Alison was also trying her best to keep her emotions in check, but with someone she considered a father that is about to be buried, it was getting hard for her.

"...and to those of you who didn't know him as we did, I want to tell you this: Bruce was Gotham. He loved this city more than he loved anything. He was a protector to this city. He worked hard tirelessly behind the scenes to bring justice and equality. There's nothing he wouldn't do - no project he wouldn't champion, if he thought Gotham would benefit...and I think in remembering that we remember Bruce as he truly was..."