Chapter 2: Fireman Sam Finds Out

As dawn began to break, Norman was now skipping merrily along the road, as happy as a jackrabbit, as merry as a schoolboy, and he was feeling very pleased with himself. "Haha!" he chuckled naughtily to himself. "Mam's gonna be really sorry when she finds me gone!"

He carried on walking, feeling pleased with himself. "Living in Newtown will be so much fun! I can't wait till I get there!"

A minute or two later, however, Norman soon began to discover that Newtown was a very long way away.

"Awww... Newtown is still a long way away." he moaned. Then, he yawned. "I know," he said to himself, "I'll go find a quiet place to have a sleep in the forest." He climbed over a wall, and ran into the forest.

He made it to the campsite where the charred tents were.

"Good job Trevor never took these down." he said to himself.

He crawled into one of the tents, laid down, and fell fast asleep.

Later, after his short nap, he tucked in to some of the sandwiches from the hamper, as his lunch. "This is the best thing I've done, ever." he said. "I bet Fireman Sam hasn't even noticed I've gone."

------------------------------

But, back in Pontypandy, Norman's disappearance had not gone unnoticed - back in Pontypandy, Steele got a message on his fax machine. He gasped when he read the letter on it. "What?! Norman Price has ran away from home?! Oh, no!"

He sounded the fire alarm, and immediately, Sam, Elvis and Penny reported to Steele, sliding down the fire pole. "Norman Price has ran away from home!" Steeel said.

Sam., Elvis and Penny were gobsmacked.

"He couldn't have!" Penny said.

------------------------------

But Norman Price HAD ran away.

That was what the firefighters found out when they got to Dilys' shop, and got the whole story from a very upset Dilys. "I saw the note this morning, Fireman Sam!" Dilys cried, for she was sobbing, and drying her eyes with tissues. "Oh, my poor little Norman!" Dilys sobbed, "Out there, all alone, no food, nowhere nice to sleep..." She blew her nose on another tissue and threw it onto a pile of soggy tissues on the floor next to the counter. "Oh, if only I hadn't been so horrid to him!" She cried even louder, and ran up to her room, crying all the way.

Fireman Sam read the note that Dilys had shown him. He gasped. "I can't believe it. "Norman Price ran away after all!" He turned to Elvis and Penny. "This is very serious." Fireman Sam stated. "We must go find him. I'll call Tom Thomas so he can use his helicopter to search for him." he dialled up Tom Thomas at the Mountain Rescue Centre. "Norman Price has ran away, Tom. Can you use your helicopter to find him?"

"Roger that, Sam!" Tom Thomas' voice rang from the phone.

"Right." Sam said. "Elvis, you go with me to find Norman in Jupiter. Penny, call Trevor, and tell him to bring Charlie, Bronwyn, Sarah, James, and Mandy to help too."

"Got it." Penny said. "I'll call Helen Flood too."

"I'll go too." Dilys said, coming down from upstairs with a bag packed with essentials.

"Uhh, I don't think that's a good idea..." Fireman Sam began uneasily.

"I don't care." Dilys said firmly. "My Norman's out there, and I'm coming with you to find him."

Fireman Sam knew this was extremely serious, but there was no other choice - he needed all-hands-on-deck to find Norman.

"Come on, then!" Fireman Sam said seriously, as he headed out the shop, followed by Elvis and Penny, as they headed back to the fire station.

Dilys stayed back at the shop to wait for Trevor to pick her up. She waved goodbye to Sam.

"We'd better hurry." Fireman Sam muttered to himself. "No telling what mischief Norman Price will be getting up to!"