Chapter 3

Megan quietly entered my room early the next morning. I didn't sleep well so I was wide awake when she came to visit. The sad-eyed boy had left not long before Megan arrived. He was very attractive and mysterious, but still creeped me out quite a bit. "I need to get out of this room Meg, want to go down to the cafeteria?" I suggested. "Sure, we can have breakfast or something," she replied happily.

I was feeling much better today. As we walked into the nearly-empty cafeteria I scanned the room for a seat I wanted to sit in my eyes locked with the boy from the hallway. I decided to sit at the table next to him. "I'll get us some coffee, Val" Megan said as she walked towards the short Dunkin' Donuts line. The peculiar boy beside me was eating Taco Bell.

"Really? Taco Bell this early in the morning?" I laughed at him. He seemed shy, and looked down at his tray. I regretted saying anything as soon as I saw his reaction. I sighed and look over to Megan. She was ordering our drinks. "It's my favourite food," the boy quietly replied, sounding a bit offended. "Sorry, I, uh didn't mean it as a bad thing. I'm Valerie," I smiled at him. He smiled back but I knew it wasn't sincere. "Can I sit there?" He asked pointing to the empty seat across from me. Megan sat herself down in the seat he was gesturing to before I could reply. She handed me my coffee. "You can sit here if you want," I offered the seat next to me to the boy. He silently moved over to the seat. "I'm Tyler," he said to you after sitting down. "This is Megan," I introduced. He smiled at her and then continued eating his food.

After we awkwardly ate together Megan said she had an appointment to get to. "Hey Tyler do you wanna hangout more?" I asked. He nodded and smiled, sincerely this time. He emptied his tray into the garbage and then we walked back to my room.

I crawled into my bed and he awkwardly sat in the chair Megan was in. Tyler looked at his hands, "So what happened," he asked. "Well, uh-" I started but he interrupted me, "Sorry that was personal, you don't have to answer." A look of relief flashed upon my face. "I saw you outside my room. What was that all about?" I asked. Tyler's cheeks turned red and he looked down, "Nothing," he mumbled. "Tell me," I giggled, and Tyler blushed even harder. "Well, I uh, just think you're, um, really beautiful," he embarrassingly replied. I blushed too, "I should get going," Tyler said. "Hold on, give me your phone," I demanded. "Um, why?" He asked skeptically. "just give me it," I smirked. He did as I asked and I added my number to his contacts. "Text me later," I said and he nodded. "See ya!" He exclaimed with a smile as he exited.