Chapter 3: The Sassy IceWing Hybrid

As Summer, Spark, her three best friends, and her siblings flew through the crisp morning air, they did flips and dives while wind rushed past them like a rush of waves crashing against large rocks in the ocean.

However, they weren't watching where they were flying and they collided headfirst with another dragonet. Summer snickered quietly to herself, this reminded her of how she met Spark.

"Hey, you mouse-brains, watch were your flying will ya?" A sassy and very pissed off dragonet hissed, her tail lashing while in mid-air. Summer bowed her head in shame and stared down at her talons.

"Oh shit! I pissed off a dragon that I don't even know. Me and my big mouth." Summer muttered under her breath as she looked at Spark, who looked just as uneasy as Summer felt.

"Watch your mouth little missy, do you want me to dunk your head under freezing cold water?" The dragonet snapped, glaring at Summer with her piercing icy gaze.

"I don't care, buzz off." Summer retorted, glaring back at the hot-tempered IceWing dragonet.

"Who cares! I was just kidding, miss smarty-claws. Anyways, the name's Hurricane, what are your names?" The sassy and snarky dragonet asked, with a small laugh and a flick of her tail.

"I'm Summer, and these are my siblings: Shadowshifter, and Silencekeeper. And those three are my best friends: Shadowbinder, Starseer, and Shadeflyer. Oh, and this is my new friend, Spark." Summer said, introducing herself, her siblings, and her four friends to the strange IceWing.

"Where are we heading anyways?" Shadowbinder suddenly spoke up, and it was then that Summer realized that they were in the IceWing kingdom.

"Shit, I'm so dead! My mom is going to be pissed that we flew so far from home! Just kill me now." Summer moaned, covering her face with her talons. She shook her head back and forth as she looked over at Silencekeeper.

"You have a bad mouth don't you, Summer?" Hurricane joked, giving her a teasing grin as she gently nudged Summer's wing with one of her own.

"Sorry, my bad." Summer looked down and mumbled a "sorry." She felt her scales grow hot and she ducked her head in embarrassment. Shadowbinder gave her a sympathetic look.

"No need to worry, Summer. I have a bad mouth too. You're not the only one." Shadowbinder replied, grinning cheekily up at Summer, who laughed quietly and shook her head at her friend.

•••

The light was fading by the time they could see anything other than falling snowflakes. The lowering sun in the west tinted the sky a dusky orange, and the walls of the huge palace ahead of them were casting long shadows.

"Fox dung! My mother is going to use my scales for kit bedding if she found out that I had left the borders without letting her know." Hurricane muttered, running her talons over her face as she flew down and landed onto the white and powdery snow-covered ground below.

"Why did you say that, Hurricane? And what did you mean by your mother is going to use your scales for kit bedding?" Summer asked, staring at the hybrid dragonet, who just sighed softly and shrugged her wings in response.

"No time to explain, we gotta move. My mother will be pissed, and I'll be lucky if I even get to go outside again." Hurricane mutters. And with those words, they began to fly at a breakneck speed in the direction of the IceWing palace.

And just as Hurricane had said, her mother was pissed. She looked like a volcano about ready to erupt at any second, and if anyone said anything that would piss her off anymore, she would blow her top like Mount Saint Helens.

"PRINCESS HURRICANE! WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN?" They all halted in their tracks and turned to see a large ice blue and white dragon and two smaller dragonets following close behind her.

Uh-oh" Hurricane says in a small squeak.

"WE'VE BEEN SEARCHING EVERYWHERE! DID YOU GO FLY PAST THE BORDERS OF THe PALACE OR SOMETHING? THREE MOONS, I THOUGHT I RAISED YOU AT LEAST SLIGHTLY BETTER THAN THIS! BUT NOPE!"

"Mom. Chill." Hurricane tells her.

"I don't normally agree with Hurricane, but she's right. You seriously need to chill." Silverberry steps in.

That must be Hurricane's sister. Summer thought to herself with a warm smile forming on her face.

"Well, look at the runaways" Sealion says, joining the conversation. Hurricane flashes her scales and her face screws up into an exasperated expression.

"Sealion, go stick yourself up your own butthole" She says, already exasperated with him.

"Well hello, miss snarky!" He says with a sneer.

"Shut up. Just shut up." She says, glaring at the pale blue IceWing.

"Hurricane, that's no way to treat your future mate!" Queen Foxfire says. She sighed and flashed her scales and gave a frustrated hiss.

"Who's Sealion?" Summer whispered to Hurricane once they had left the throne room. Hurricane sighed and gave another frustrated hiss in response.

"Sealion is a disrespectful IceWing, but my mother thinks he would make a good future mate." She spat, her luminescent scales flashing brightly. Summer was the only one who knew what she was saying.

"But why in the Three moons would your mother be trying to find you a mate at such a young age?" Summer asked her with a confused look crossing her face. Hurricane sighed softly and shrugged her wings in response.

"I honestly have no idea, I don't like Sealion. He's a disrespectful, snailbrained, fish-eating lizard!" Hurricane exclaimed with a roll of her eyes. Summer burst out laughing at the IceWing princess's comment about Sealion.

"Don't let mother or Sealion hear you say that." Came a voice from the entrance of Hurricane's room. They all looked up to see Silverberry, one of Hurricane's sisters.

"Silverberry? What are you doing here? I thought you were out catching fish with mother." Hurricane questioned her. Silverberry just shrugged her wings in response.

"Well I was, but I got bored so I decided to come back to the palace and wait for mom and Icefire to return with dinner." Silverberry replied, patting into the room and taking a seat on her snow-covered bed.

"I love fish." Summer said and Silverberry whipped her head around and stared at her in shock. Summer just laughed and looked to Hurricane and Spark, who both smiled cheekily up at her.