Love Rebirth

P R E L I M I N A R I E S

Title: Love Rebirth
Contest: Bite-sized Love Buffet 2024
Prompt: Love At First Sight
Host: Ambassadors of Wattpad's Short Story Profile & YARomance Profile
Word Count: 500

Title: Love RebirthContest: Bite-sized Love Buffet 2024Prompt: Love At First SightHost: Ambassadors of Wattpad's Short Story Profile & YARomance Profile Word Count: 500

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

       WARREN HAMLETT HATED Mr. Fillman. He knew his feeling about the former anchor clanker was as fleeting as the waves that led him, Hamlett, and their fellow marine merchants across the Atlantic; yet, Mr. Fillman, Hamlett's friend—and boss—had kept him late at the firm, the last situation he wanted to be in right now.

At least his shoes were holding up as he navigated through the crowds of city folk, their presence impeding like the 240 Central Park South building was to the sunshine. In the shade, Hamlett's Oxford's looked soot black instead of the mellow brown they had been when he'd picked them up. Still, they fared much better than his fabric shoes that Beulah bought him.

Rounding a corner, a few blocks still kept Hamlett from the hospital. He glanced down at his wristwatch, its face holding his gaze so that he missed the person gliding out of an apartment building and right into his path.

Of the two, Hamlett took the hardest hit as his balance faltered and his arms—restricted by the ill-fitted suit Beulah had tailored herself—flailed until a hand on his forearm steadied him.

He looked down at the young woman and felt an ease wash over him. Sensing his change, the concern in the woman's green eyes softened.

"You nearly toppled me over."

Her tone was not accusatory, but he already had an apology ready.

"I do apologize, ma'am. I got distracted by my watch."

She seemed to consider his words—flip them over like a flapjack—until a grin pulled at her lips. "Refreshing to hear a man not passing the buck and acknowledging his mistakes. You put my Lonnie to shame."

"Your sweetheart?"

Hamlett didn't know where his moxie came from to ask such a personal question, but he could guess as he eyed the woman's pair of youthful cheeks and hip-hugging skirt.

"Ex-husband. We couldn't make it after the war," she glanced down at his blushing neck. "Where are you heading?"

It's as if they both knew what Hamlett's answer was going to be, for they kept their gazes steady and Hamlett's clothed arm stayed hot under her hand.

But he told her the hospital anyway, and Hamlett felt like a doll dizzy again as the woman smiled.

———

       The nurses stared at Hamlett and Jeanne Dockray as they pushed through the doors. Their curiosity reflected Hamlett's own as he gazed at Jeanne, mindful that the hospital's hallways called for the two to part.

He thought it was love—really—but when he turned toward the maternity ward, a realization passed through them, and Jeanne exited his life as abruptly as she'd come.

Hamlet understood, but it still stung as he trailed down the hallway, his youth leaving with each step. He expected the feeling; yet what he hadn't anticipated was, after he pushed open the door to Beulah's room and saw her cradling their daughter, to fall in love with his wife all over again like it was the very first time he'd seen her.