1: Brand New

**Trigger warning, there are some sensitive subjects in this chapter**

-----------------------------    

Too hot, it's too hot.

    It was hard to believe there could be so much heat. Fire rippled through every cell in my being. I couldn't see anything but orange tongues of flame. I was screaming, but my vocal cords were drowned by smoke. My skin was peeling from my bones, charring and dissolving into ash. I was still alive, still awake. The fire was snaking into my skeleton, eating away at the bone marrow. I have forgotten what it was like not to burn, not to have my eyes melting from their sockets. Make its stop, make it stop.

    "Feral, wake up!"

     With a swift intake of breath, the flames disappeared. Cool, smoke-free air kissed my hot skin. My eyes blinked open, my eyelashes sticking together a little. Through the bleary quality of my vision, I could see a pair of blue eyes staring down at me. I struggled to catch my breath, as it rattled in and out of my tired lungs like the heavy smoke did in my dream. I felt a pair of hands on either of my shoulders, forcing me to stay still.

     "You were thrashin' around in your sleep." Nux said quietly, sitting back on his heels. His voice was rough and raspy from being woken from his own sleep.

    "S..Sorry..." I mumbled, sitting up and cracking the stiffness from my neck. 

     It still was unusual to have someone else sleeping so near to me. But since Furiosa has established better sleeping quarters for everyone, Nux and I have decided to share a room. Also since Slit died in the Fury Road battle, we only have each other anymore. 

    Most of the war boys were offered cots, but all refused. The stone floors of the caves have been our beds for far too long. Even when I was healing all those months ago, the soft cotton under my body felt too soft and springy. What we were given instead were single blankets for particularly cold nights. When I wasn't wrapped in it as fever ran through me, I just laid it out flat and slept on top of it with my head pooled in my arms.

     What was that nightmare about? My normal ones were all about Fury Road or Immortan Joe, but fire? It was as if I had any specific fear of flame. I rubbed my good eye with my knuckle, yawning loudly, "'nother nightmare." I sighed.

    Nux bobbed his head slowly, "Seemed like a nasty one." He commented

    I nodded in return, my eyes lowered as I focused on getting my trembling to recede.

    Nux reach out and touched my arm, giving it a reassuring squeeze, "You good?" He asked, tipping his head down so our gazes were level with one another.

    "Mmhmm," I responded, giving him a half hearted grin. It was hard to get rid of the cobwebs of that dream, like slimy grease after spending hours in the black thumbs cave. I wasn't quite sure, but I also think I feel a fever bubbling up from inside me. I shuddered despite the heat coming off my skin, cursing under my breath.

     "Here," Nux said with an almost embarrassed taint to his voice, edging closer to me. His pale arm draped itself over my shoulders, sharing his body heat. A soft laugh hummed out my closed lips, and I leaned into him slightly. This was a common occurrence in our new sleeping quarter, since we both get fevers from time to time. The Dag and Cheedo were working on medicines for all the sickness in the Citadel, but those things took time. For now, we would just have to make due with what we had.

    My brain was growing foggy, and my eyelids felt as if small hands were dragging them downwards. I let out a long, slow, wheezy breath, and muttered, "I think I'm goin' back to sleep..."