Chapter 3

The next day, Ekko was back at his workshop, busy working on his latest innovations with his friends. Inside the workshop one could find anything they could be looking for, ranging from weapons to daily life technology like cellphones and tablets. There were three main rooms, but Ekko made sure that the biggest room in it was reserved for his projects and mainly his hoverboard .

Suddenly, there was a knock on the door.

Ekko stopped working on his hoverboard and ran to see who it was. He opened the door and found Zeri standing there with her green hair and a huge smile on her face. She had brought along some of the other people of the community with her, everyone looking eager to see Ekko.

"Come in guys, what's the big deal?" asked Ekko with a grin as he let them enter the workshop.

"Well we have all the material that you wanted. You know, the ones for the new hoverboard that you were trying to make. Zeri and the others got it all for you." replied a guy named Leo , handing over a bunch of boxes full of items, tools, wires and other small pieces that Ekko didn't have in his workshop.

" Ohh you shouldn't have guys, I could've done this myself..." said Ekko, blushing and looking at Zeri, who sent him a blowing kiss.

"It's okay, Ekko." replied Zeri. "I know that you love making these inventions and I figured that we should help you out by bringing all this stuff to you , as a thank you for everything you do for the community. "

Ekko smiled and thanked everyone for their help before grabbing the boxes and setting them down next to him.

"Alright, I think I can work with this now." he said with a smile.

"Ok guys let's leave, the mad scientist needs silence" announced Zeri.

The others laughed as they left Ekko alone in his workshop to get back to work on his new invention. Ekko was happy that he had such wonderful friends and that they cared about him so much that they would help him out by bringing him all this stuff he needed for his creations.

After a long day of work, the hoverboard seemed to finally be working. Ekko had given it a test ride or two, but he thought he would give it the definite test the following day. T he sun started to set and Ekko could feel the tiredness spreading throughout his body. He decided that it was time for him to go home and rest.

"I'll see you guys tomorrow!" called out Ekko, walking out of the workshop.

"Sure thing, Ekko, we'll be here!" replied one of the others with a smile as she watched him leave.

The sky was starting to turn orange and red as Ekko walked down the street towards his house. He felt the warmth of the sunlight on his skin and smiled to himself as he enjoyed the beautiful sight above him. He could hear the birds chirping in the trees and he could smell the fresh scent of grass from nearby gardens as he made his way through the streets of Zaun. He had almost forgotten about everything else around him until he heard someone screaming behind him.

There were several people running towards him.

"Ekko, Ekko, Ekko!" yelled one of them as they passed by him.

" What's going on?" asked Ekko as he looked around at all the chaos.

There were people yelling, crying and screaming around him as they ran in every direction trying to escape whatever danger was coming their way. T hen he saw it: the smoke. A huge plume of black smoke was rising from somewhere near the center of the community .

"Shit," muttered Ekko under his breath as he quickly sprinted back to his home.

"The Firelights are here ... The Firelights will help us ..." screamed someone from the crowd .