PROLOGUE

As dusk fell, the remains of the building looked like a monster who would soon kill what was left of him. It felt as if someone was peeking from afar to decide who would become its prey tonight.

The clouds danced and swirled in the sky, as the peaceful blue took over the orange flames announcing that the sun had gone back to its lair.

The place looked ethereal, almost ghostly.

As he stood there with hands tied and mouth covered with tape, several thoughts encompassed his mind but only one stood out, Will he escape this place alive?

The tape was to muffle his screams he assumed but he didn't know if he even had the power to speak and even if he had there wasn't even a bird who would care enough to listen to his pleas.

The rumor has it that a person only ever gets to see this place on the very day of their death and he was too naive to think otherwise.

The wind was gentle soothing his wounds as the rope dug into his wrists which would surely leave a scar but would he be alive to see them the other day? The wind blew past him sending a shiver down his spine but was it because of the cold or the fear engulfing his soul, he couldn't tell.

Silence is a powerful weapon, it leaves the enemy to think of several possibilities and before someone kills them the silence will choke the life out of them.
It turns out his kidnapper was well aware for he could feel the silence consuming him, second by passing second as he was left counting his heartbeats for he didn't know how many more times it would beat until he would be taken away by death too.

The building was too old, some windows broken, some lights flickering out and the fan just above him looked as if it would fall upon his head any second. The smell of sweat and blood filled the air and red stains covered the walls and floor.

The place looked so dead and yet he felt as if the souls of the ones who were murdered here were laughing at his stupidity.
He was foolish really. He never should've done that, he never should've gone against them, he never should've snitched for it was a sin in this ugly, hideous world and for which no mercy is given.

The ones who captured them were no heroes either and their sins were far worse and far more awful but their deeds couldn't be revealed for it would only bring chaos and the boss hates any interference in their work.

You slip, you are dead, you speak ill, you are dead, you lie, you are dead and if you snitch you are far from dead.

He didn't know what to do because fearing about what was going to happen would certainly not bring back what he would be losing soon, hell he didn't even know when that soon was going to come for it had been days since he had been locked up here, in this sinful, dreadful place.

He doesn't know how many days but it felt like months without food or water, he soon would be robbed of the air, he knew, so he tried to take deep breaths because his therapist told him to take deep breaths when he was stressed.

His therapist?

He should not have wasted his money on such useless things, the cigar was better anyway.

It soothed his mind and caressed his lungs even though they burned sometimes but at least it brought him peace.

His therapist, he cannot believe he didn't see past her facade. That bitch fooled him into giving the information and jeopardizing his life.

His therapist or should he say the right-hand woman of their rival.

His therapist was the last person he wanted to think about in the last days of his life, he wished he had a cigar or whiskey or cocaine even, he felt ecstatic after consuming it, he was addicted to the burn.

He thought about the last few days, it all felt too surreal. He was such a fool, he was so dumb, and with that, he started laughing like a maniac as if it was all too normal for a person locked up in a building with no resources, no chance he would survive, to laugh instead of begging for his life. But will begging save his life? Probably not and maybe that was the reason he didn't notice the shadow earlier.

A dark figure was lurking at the corner hidden among the shadows, he couldn't see their face but he could feel the terror prickling his skin and the fear crawling upon his spine.

He noticed the door to the floor open which was once locked and to which he never paid much attention, not that he would even be able to escape with the little energy left.

He stared at the person tentatively, not sure what he should do.

The shadow disappeared in a blink and then he felt a presence behind him.

A gloved hand removed the tape from his lips and then he heard something.

"RUN", the voice said. But wait, did he hear a woman? The feminine voice urged him again, "Run before I catch you."

"But who are you?" He questioned her even though panic gripped his heart in a hold so firm he didn't know when it would squeeze the life out of him because he thought he knew, he knew who she was.

The shadow smiled though he could not see her face but he could see her lips curl in a sinister, evil smile that adorned the dark-clothed figure nothing of which was beautiful.

A few beats passed and slowly the Shadow whispered, "Satan but a female obviously. You didn't actually think your boss was a male, did you?"

He didn't know how but his feet started towards the door in a heartbeat.

He hurriedly ran down the stairs stumbling on a few. His chest heaved, and his lungs burned but it wasn't because of a cigar.

He felt cold air on his skin sending goosebumps down his flesh as he ran on the damp soil.

He didn't know how he started running, he didn't know it all but hearing the sinister voice of his boss meant he wouldn't live to see another day, no one ever did so what makes him special?

A shot rang out in the air as birds flew across the sky, his body went limp on the ground and the life drained out of his eyes.

It was seconds later that the raindrops hit the ground as if crying for another death, mourning for another insignificant being.

She trudged down the stairs toward the lifeless body and stood beside it.

"Such a shame. I work so hard and no one appreciates it. I have so many more important things to do and yet here I am wasting my time on this useless creature. And also what did I get in return? He fucking degraded me as a man!", she murmured to herself, and with that, she walked upon his corpse disappearing in the dark, dreary shadows.

...........................................................

\((( ̄( ̄( ̄▽ ̄) ̄) ̄)))/