Chapter 24

Cooper POV

I waited for mom and dad to go to bed before I snuck out of my room and over to Lila's room. I saw that she was already fast asleep. I know I should leave her alone, but I want to know what's in the barn. At the very least I will need her to distract mom and dad tomorrow If I'm going to find out. My birthday is coming up soon, they could be hiding my present there.

Cooper: "Lila, Lila wake up."

Lila: "Cooper?" Lila guesses as she slowly sits up and rubs her eyes with her fist.

C: "Lila, we need to find out what mom and dad are hiding in the barn." She yawns.

L: "Otay, but seep now." She said as she laid back down and turned away from me.

C: "Fine, we can do it in the morning, but I need your help."

L: "..."

C: "Lila?" I just got a soft snore in response. I huffed and walked back to my room and sat by my window and stared out at the barn. Letting my imagination run wild of what they could be hiding.

Alex POV

I had woken up in the middle of the night shivering from the cold. I looked over at Nat and saw that the blanket had fallen down and was just covering her lap. I fixed the blanket then shifted into my wolf form knowing my fur would keep us both warm. I moved my body, so I was closer to Nat but my head facing the door and closed my eyes again. I felt Nat shift in the sleep, so she was even closer to me. I let the sound of her breathing and lull me back to a dreamless sleep.

Nat POV

I woke up laying practically on top of Alex's wolf form. I'm not sure when she shifted back, but damn she is warm and soft. I gently placed the blanket over her and carefully opened the stable door, not wanting to wake her. Once I made sure the door was secure, I made my way over to the house to grab us both breakfast. As I approached the backdoor, I saw that everyone was up already.

N: "Goodmorning." I said as I opened the door and entered the kitchen.

Cooper and Lila: "Auntie Nat!" I bent down and gave both kids a hug.

Cooper: "Did you just get here Auntie Nat?"

N: "No, I came with your dad yesterday. I was out in the barn. He wanted to surprise you."

Lila: "Mom if it's just Auntie Nat, why can't we go in the barn?"

N: "Just Auntie Nat? Who said it was just Auntie Nat that was in the barn?"

Clint: "Nat we are trying to get them to stay out of the barn remember."

Cooper: "What are you hiding?" he said and looked at me with this tiny glare. I've seen teddy bears with meaner glares than what he was giving me.

N: "That's for me to know..." I said as i grabbed his sides and started to tickle him "and for you not to find out."

Lila: "Awe."

Cooper: "Come on Lila, let's go play" he said once he escaped my clutches and ran out the door with his sister.

N: "So what's the plan for today?"

C: "I figured we could go into town quick after breakfast and get more food and supplies for the stable and bed. I don't have much on hand here.

L: "I'll hold down the fort here. I'll check on Alex every hour or so to make sure she is ok and keep the kids out of the way.

N: "Alright, sounds good. Do you mind if I make a couple eggs for Alex? Then we can head out?

L: "I already made some, they just need to be heated up a little. I would say take the kids with you, but I know they would get into trouble."