Chapter 103 : Enough Leering.

The Shepherd and The Canary was a story about a classic hero's journey.

How a young man full of dreams found himself embroiled in treacherous conflicts and schemes as he sought after the Canary from the legends.

The story itself was somewhat of a cliche, but that didn't mean it was bad.

In fact, by having a predictable story, the Harpers were able to divert a huge portion of creativity in other parts, such as the over-the-top fighting scenes, the flashy magic and visual effects, and the praiseworthy acting of the actors themselves.

Everything was fine and all, but the Shepherd in the story was clearly a projection of me, and I just couldn't help but feel that this was just Clara's way of messing with me. I just knew it...

Clap! Clap! Clap!!

Rounds of applause resounded from the whole venue when the play was over.

And it resumed louder than ever when the closed curtain opened yet again, presenting all the actors on stage.

A woman, standing right in the middle, walked out of the line, with her familiar sultry gait being a favorite topic among the hearts of the lonely.

She was disguising herself using an artifact, but she couldn't fool my eyes.

Flashing an inviting smile on her rose-colored lips, the woman, Clara, scanned the crowd, searching for something. And her smile grew wider when she found it.

"Today, I would like to offer my words of gratitude for His Grace, the Duke of Dawson, who in his kind heart has allowed us the outsiders from far away to settle in and make our living under his protection. If not for our Duke, the Harpers wouldn't have been what it is today." She offered her hand forward, pointing our way.

"May I trouble our very own Rose, lady Alyson Von Dawson, to bless us with her presence?" Invited Clara with a mesmerizing smile.

My Sister returned her smile in kind and walked up to the stage, guarded by two knights from both sides, answering the call.

"Please, Madam Harper. You don't have to trouble yourself to do this every time. Just the fact that you always reserve a spot for us in each play has been comforting enough. I believe my Father would also share the same opinion." Remarked her thoughtfully.

"Why, even your words are beautiful, lady Alyson...But take it as our undying gratitude, and now that you're here, may I trouble you to do the honor of closing the play once again, my lady?" Bowed Clara.

"...Alright. So, the usual?" Asked my Sister, taking her place. She might've said otherwise, but we all knew just how excited she was to do this. Helena had even caught her practicing in secret and told us about it. Of course, we knew better than to start unnecessary trouble with my Sister because of it. So, we decided to play the fool instead.

"It will be an honor, my lady." Confirmed Clara with a gentle nod.

Sister then trotted in front of the stage, facing the entire crowd. She took a deep breath before addressing the venue in a crystal clear voice. "May the Light shine brighter!"

'May the Darkness grow deeper...' I replied inwardly.

"And may fate smile kind on your path." Finished her.

"May fate smile kind on your path!!" Returned the crowd.

Following my Sister's departure from the festive stage, another round of merry applause boomed out once again.

"Lady Alyson Von Dawson, ladies and gentlemen!! Give her your heartfelt applause! Go on now, no need to skimp on it!" From the stage, Clara kept on yapping her mouth, ushering my Sister away, who was now a bit flustered thanks to the overwhelming reactions from the venue.

'Stop teasing her, you devil...' I sent a message to Clara.

I caught the movement of her eyes, bemused as though she was having a lot of fun.

'Anyway...I didn't sound like that...Did I...?' I willed to her again.

The edge of her lips twitched, holding her laugh, and amidst all that, Clara would then touch her earlobe, naturally, as she swiped her hair.

'Hm...I'll go tomorrow...'

"Enough leering or I'll pluck your eyeballs out, Alex." Came the whisper from the goddess of death herself.

'Oh, shit!?' Helena had caught me off guard.

She was squinting her eyes dangerously and then overbearingly stepped forward in front of me, blocking me from seeing Clara again.

"You like someone who looks like that...? Then wait two-. No, Three years, for me. I'll be better than her." Declared Helena boldly, pushing her face close to mine.

So close, I could see all the details of my stunned visage as clear as day, reflected on her resolute and glossy emerald eyes.

"Pfft..." A soft giggle broke out from the side.

I knew who that was. She knew who that was. Heck, even the knights guarding us knew who that was.

"Three years? You? Hahaha." Mocked Howard, disbelief and mirth mixed as one on his mug.

'This punk...you're lacking her whips of love nowadays or what...?' I shook my head mentally.

"I'll see you later at home...Brother..." Answered Helena, cold as the endless winter in the dwarven mountains.

And the moment he heard the word brother, he knew he was fucked...

He knew it. I knew it. Everybody else knew it...