Chapter 12 Her confession

"Sun rahi hoon sudh budh khoke,
koi main kahaani...
Poori kahaani hai kya, kise hai pata..

Main toh kisiki hoke,
yeh bhi na jaani..
Rut hai yeh do pal ki ya rahegi sadaa"

🥀Devika Vyas Pov🥀
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As we arrived home, I unlocked the door with my keys, Jiini standing quietly behind me.

Stepping inside, I guided her to the sofa, concern etching my voice as I asked, "What happened, babes?"

At the sound of my voice, she enveloped me in a tight hug, tears wetting my shoulder as she sobbed.

Feeling her pain like a dagger in my heart, I wondered what had made her suddenly so vulnerable.

After what seemed like an eternity of tears, she finally pulled away.

I busied myself in the kitchen, fetching a glass of water for her, watching as she downed it in one go, as though she'd been parched for years.

"Devika," she said, and I knew what was coming, preempting her with,

"No, Jiini, if you want, we can talk about it later."

Patience wasn't my strong suit, but for her, I would try.

"We don't have that much time," she insisted, leaving me utterly perplexed.

Sitting beside her, I took her hand in mine, prompting her to reveal,
"They are coming the day after tomorrow."

"They?" I echoed, trying to piece together the puzzle.

"My in-laws. They're coming to fix our marriage. I'm engaged, Devi," she confessed, her gaze fixed downward.

My world felt like it crumbled beneath my feet.

She was engaged, and she hadn't even told me. The urge to scream and demand answers surged within me, but I knew I had to remain calm for her sake.

Squeezing her hand gently, I asked, "When?"

"The day after your father-in-law died," she whispered, and suddenly, everything clicked into place.

"So that's why you didn't inform me," I murmured, understanding dawning upon me.

"Did your parents force you into this marriage?" I inquired softly, careful not to hurt her.

"No, I agreed of my own accord," she confessed, still avoiding my gaze.

"Is your fiancé not a good person? Did he hurt you?" I probed, ready to defend her honor if needed.

"No, he's a true gentleman. He'd never even dream of hurting me," she assured, her eyes finally meeting mine.

"Then why?" I pressed, unable to comprehend.

"I don't want Mr. Perfect, or anyone for that matter. I just want his claim on me."," she admitted, a hint of defiance in her tone.