Chapter 4: I Only Had Eyes For You

"Symbols to the nation. Heroes to the world. The story of Captain America and the Siren is one of honour, bravery, sacrifice and love."

Nellie wandered through the exhibit entrance, her head low, her hands clasped together in front of her as she nervously twisted and grasped at her own fingers, continuously counting them in an effort to keep herself in control. She needed to see his face, to hear his voice, to feel like she was in his presence once again.

She felt like she was going crazy, with each minute that passed another agonizing image painted itself on the inside of her eyelids... but it always went back to her brother, she felt that was her greatest loss, only second to the life that had been stolen from herself and Steve during their time in the ice. Knowing Bucky did not get to live a long and happy life, or marry and have children, knowing that if she pushed herself maybe she could have saved him. What hurt her the most was that she knew in her heart she was now more than capable of saving him...

Eleanor moved away from the crowds and pressed herself into a corner right at the entrance of the exhibit, the faint 1940s music trilling in her ears as she locked eyes with a painting of herself and Steve, her old brown locks twisted away from her face in an old-fashioned up do... one that her mother had taught her how to do. The pain was back again, squeezing her heart to the point where she had to gasp for breath.

"Symbols to the nation. Heroes to the world. The story of Captain America and the Siren is one of honour, bravery, sacrifice and love."

The narrator's voice repeated, shocking Nellie back into reality once again. She had come here for a reason, to see Bucky and to remember him. Back at their apartment, both in Washington and New York, Steve and Nellie had selected photos of Bucky to be on display, but most of the albums were with Arty, with a few personal items donated to the Smithsonian when the exhibit had first been created on the fiftieth anniversary of their 'death'. Nellie had heard there was footage here from their time together working for the SSR, now seemed like the best time to see it.

She regulated her breathing, adjusted the baseball cap on her head to shadow her face a little more, and ensured her blonde bangs hid her face as well. The change in hair colour was fairly new still, and spending most of their nights inside hadn't really given the public a chance to realise that she was no longer a brunette. She hoped that it would aid her in her personal mission.

Nellie looked back at the portrait of herself and Steve, the words: 'The living legends and symbols of courage' printed above their heads. She needed that courage now, just for a moment, she needed to be that woman again. She glanced at the image of Steve; how handsome he looked in his old uniform, and despite everything it brought a small smile to her face. Maybe I should tell him where I am...

As Nellie stepped away from the wall, ready to begin, a body pushed through the crowds to her left, almost a head taller than all of those around him and it drew her attention immediately. His warm blue eyes settled on her, the relief of finding her instantly relaxing his features, his shoulders dropped as a weight lifted off of them as he walked a little faster to reach her.

Eleanor smiled softly as Steve approached her, her arms already opening up to him as he pulled her into his own, holding her so tightly she was sure he never wanted to let go again. Almost instantly her heart relaxed, the grip squeezing it loosened and it was as if she could breathe again. They backed up into the corner once again, her head resting against his chest as Steve placed a sweet kiss against the side of her head.

"I'm sorry." She said quietly against his chest, the cotton of his white t-shirt soft against her cheek as she refrained from moving away. His hands rubbed over her back through her leather jacket, his touch soothing her shallow breaths.