Finding Peace Amidst Chaos

I spent the past two weeks healing up. Mira spent most of her time in the childrens cabin with the little girl, who she named Orieko. Why she named her that I have no idea.

She said it felt unique and special to her and the child. So I didn't argue with her about it. We settled on calling her Ori for short.

Afia found out there was target practice at the camp so he spent most of his time there. With both him and Mira occupied, I spent most of my time alone in the room.

Every so often, Rune would drop by. Whether to give me a snack or just to talk. I quickly realised how laid back Rune actually was despite their serious expression.

"At night we like to sit in a circle and roast marshmallows and just- talk. Y'know?" She said to me one day. This camp felt like we were having a relaxing summer vacation rather than surviving the end of the world.

Every so often we would hear commotion outside the camp but we often ignored it. Never once has a monster made its way inside. Why?

I knew deep down if those monsters wanted to break down the wall of our camp and come inside they would. So why didn't they? There was so much I didn't understand. So much I wanted the answer for. But not all questions remained answered.

The next day I was finally able to walk around with the help of Mira. She would hold my hand as we walked. There was no mobility aid and surprisingly no bones broken. Just really tore up.

Seeing the outside was so much nicer than what I thought. Despite the clouds of smoke that polluted the air, the camp itself wasn't half bad.

Kids ran around, playing in the fields and adults talked freely amongst themselves. It was as if the end of the world wasn't here.

Mira and I made our way to the cafeteria, getting our lunch and walking to one of the tables. Today I had turkey sandwiches and cheese sticks.

To tell you the truth, I HATED turkey. But I was more hungry than I was picky and I wanted to eat. I took a bite into my sandwich and almost threw up.

"Turkey?" Mira asked, to which I gave her a nasty look and gave her a 'what do you think' look. A small smile crept across her face as she shrugged, eating her sandwich happily. She loved turkey.

After our lunch we walked out to the garden. There were no birds but there were tons of insects. I loved insects more than anything. The way they moved and went about their lives was so great.

Mira also loved bugs. Well, most bugs anyway. She refuses to go near Centipedes. She felt they were the devil in one singular insect.

I wasn't too fond of centipedes either, but that's just because one bit me when I was younger. A feeling I wasn't appreciative of.

Plus I heard centipedes were poisonous, which I have no idea to what extent or truth that is but regardless it was the scariest moment of my life.

Until a few weeks ago that is.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around that to be honest. One moment we were hurrying to go to a banquet, the next we were running for our lives, and now we are in what felt like paradise.

However, the words of the queen made everything feel less great.

"We need people who won't be missed to keep them distracted while people like us who do have a future, escape."

Those words burned into my mind and left a constant reminder of why we were really here and they weren't.

What hurt even more is that I was stupid enough to think that Ezra would defend us. But he didn't. Why did I think he would?