Chapter 1 - 3

Sebastian's detention in Azkaban, the wizard's prison, is indirectly due to Ominis tipping off Headmaster Black.
 In an attempt to protect his sister, Anne, Sebastian has been involved in a series of dark arts, culminating in the use of a death spell on his uncle. After some discussion, Anne, Ominis and the new student decided that instead of protecting Sebastian, they would let him take responsibility under the law.
 When last seen, Sebastian was not angry with Ominis. Just before leaving Hogwarts, Headmaster Black took Sebastian to see him in the Headmaster's office, where he was devastated and said he was sorry for Anne, and that he deserved to be abandoned by Ominis and the new students.
 But now? Can he not still blame Ominis now that he has been unjustly detained in Azkaban for so long? After having their happy feelings sucked away by the Dementor, all that was left was their resentment towards Ominis, who had locked them up in a place like this and never came to their rescue, right? The next time he saw him again - though, of course, Ominis couldn't see him - he would look at Ominis in a completely different light than before.
 Rather than seeing his best friend who has changed,...... than return to his parents' home, which he has avoided for five years, and beg Lord Gaunt to release him,...... he would be happier if they were never to meet again. No?

 Then, quite unexpectedly, the fire in the fireplace flared with a gurgle. The hem of Ominis's nightgown made a sizzling sound, and the smell of smoke was strongly scented.
'What the hell?'
 Ominis reflexively raised his arms to protect his face. The side table fell to the floor with a loud clatter as Ominis rose from his chair. The moment she realised what was wrong, Ominis was hit by a general feeling of hair-raising all over her body.
  Someone - someone - is staring at Ominis from the flames!
'Who is it?'
Ominis shouted. He wanted to run across the room now, but the thought that it was foolish to be that afraid of the fireplace held his feet in place. Ominis groped with his left hand for the poker.
'You think I don't know who you are? 'Identify yourself!'
 The moment Ominis pulled the wand from his dressing gown pocket and gripped it, the angular outline of the fireplace and the blurry mass of flames came into view, as if ink had flowed into his blank mind. Ominis was deeply relieved that there was no outline of what appeared to be a human head in the flickering flames.
─ ─ Then - then - if that's the case, what's this look?

 魔法使いの牢獄、アズカバンにセバスチャンが勾留されているのは、間接的にはオミニスがブラック校長に密告したせいだ。
 妹のアンを守ろうとして闇の魔術に次々と手を出していったセバスチャンは、最後には叔父に死の呪文を使うまでに至った。アンとオミニスと転入生の三人は、話し合いの末に、セバスチャンを庇うのではなく、彼に法の下で責任を取らせようと決めた。
 最後に会ったとき、セバスチャンはオミニスに対して腹を立ててはいなかった。ホグワーツを去る直前、ブラック校長に連れられて、校長室で面会したセバスチャンは、打ちひしがれて、アンに申し訳ないことをした、オミニスと転入生に見捨てられるのも当然のことだと言った。
 しかし、今は?アズカバンに不当に長く勾留されている今も、オミニスのことを責めないでいられるだろうか?吸魂鬼に幸せな感情を吸い取られて、後に残るのは自分をこんな場所に閉じ込めていっこうに助けに来ない、オミニスへの恨みだけではないだろうか?次に再会したとき───当然、オミニスには見えないが───彼は以前とは全く違う目でオミニスを見るだろう。
 変わってしまった親友を目の当たりにするくらいなら......五年間避けてきた実家に戻ってゴーント卿に釈放を懇願するくらいなら......いっそ、このまま再会しない方が幸せなんじゃないか?

 そのとき、全く予想外に、暖炉の火がゴオッと燃え盛った。オミニスのナイトガウンの裾がジュッと音を立て、煙の匂いが強く香った。
「なんなんだ?」
 オミニスは反射的に腕を上げて顔を守った。オミニスが椅子から立ち上がった拍子に、サイドテーブルが派手な音を立てて床に倒れた。異変に気づいた瞬間、オミニスは全身がザワザワと総毛だつような感覚に襲われた。
───誰かが───炎の中から───オミニスをじっと見ている!
「誰だ?」
オミニスは叫んだ。今すぐ部屋の向こうまで逃げ出したかったが、そこまで暖炉を怖がるなんて馬鹿げてるという思いが足をその場に押し留めた。オミニスは左手で手探りに火かき棒を探した。
「俺には分からないとでも思ってるのか?名を名乗れ!」
 オミニスがローブのポケットから杖を引き抜いて握りしめた瞬間、真っ白な頭の中に墨汁が流れ込むように、暖炉の角張った輪郭と、炎のぼやーっとした塊が浮かび上がった。オミニスは、ゆらゆらと揺れる炎の中に人の頭部らしき輪郭がないことに心底ほっとした。
───じゃあ───だとしたら、この視線は?───