Chapter Six

I was in and out for sometime. Each time was longer than the last, at least I thought it was. But I couldn't tell for sure. I came to and watched as a doctor pulled off my broken monitor, but I didn't last much longer than that. I was still weak and exhausted. I didn't recall dreaming while under, but I could hear the movements around me. Occasionally I would focus on them, try to pull myself out of the sleep with them but most of the time I let them pass by. 

The next time I came to the same doctor was finishing the stitches on the wound above my hip. When he saw my open eyes he spoke in German to his colleges. I wasn't fluent in the language but I could get by. It was one Dad had suggested I study, but unlike Russian it had never captivated me. Russian had been spoken in our home daily, perhaps that was why, or maybe it just wasn't something I took to easily. But the words he spoke seemed foreign to me. I wasn't sure if it was due to my exhausted state or that they were simply words I was unfamiliar with.

Based on the actions of his colleges and my eye lids growing heavy I figured he had instructed them to sedate me. By the next time I came too I was in a the same room, only dark and empty now. My stomach growled and my head swam. The fog was thick and heavy, confusing me. I couldn't remember what happened or why I was here.

The door had a keypad and card scanner. It would mostly likely be locked. If I had to guess it was the kind that automatically locked on closure. Not an easy thing to get passed, but maybe if I could snag someone's ID I could get out. I had no clue what waited on the other side, but I had to try. I couldn't stay here because surely whatever waited here was worse than getting out. Even if it meant a few scrapes and bruises. 

I tried to sit but my hands were strapped to the the guards along the side of the bed. I struggled against the restraints, I even tried kicking my feet - as if it would help - only to find they had been restrained as well. My new uniform had been replaced by thin and over used hospital gown. It stunk, and the stains on it indicated to me it likely had not ever been washed. Gross. But not something I could really worry about right now. I had much bigger issues. If I got out then I could look for something else to wear. Fingers crossed I could find my uniform. I had actually liked it quiet a bit. It was disappointing to loose it after only a day in the field. 

As I struggled I heard the click of the door, I glanced towards it fervently. Please be someone who could help. Please. I would event take Morgan in this moment. She may hate me, but I didn't think that hate ran deep enough to leave me in a place like this. I wasn't sure if I believed in God, but if he was out there and could hear me now would be a great time to send someone who could help me. Or at least something I could take from them to manage my escape.

As the door opened a tall dark hair man walked in, followed by three people with medical masks covering the bottom half of their faces. Judging by the way they regarded the man I assumed they were his assistants. Between the masks covering their noses and mouths and the nursing caps covering their hair, the only visible feature was their eyes. None of which showed any compassion or kindness as they looked towards me.

"So our little Winter Widow has awoken." Friends, teachers, colleges had all called me that before. It made sense considering my parents code names. It may not be a name I loved but if this man knew it then he knew who I was. Not a good thing.

"We've been quite excited to have you join us. You see, the Winter Soldier program has fallen flat during its last several trials. But someone who grew up with him, who has his training, his knowledge. It is so much easier. Less to worry about so long as the serum does its job."

He stepped up to the monitor and his fingers flew across the keyboard as the assistants moved through the room. They looked like they were preparing for surgery. My breathing sped up as I watched, terrified of what they were about to do to me. If his words were any indication they wanted a new Winter Soldier, they wanted me to become that.

"Calm down little Spider. They are simply doing their jobs. You need not worry. You have much more important things to prepare yourself for." He looked over the monitor and smirked at me. A sick smirk. I couldn't tell if he was excited for a new toy or just excited to have the Winter Soldier's daughter.

"Now, the Black Widow program has many wonderful traits. Through Dreykov never could get it as precise as the Winter Soldier. But we gladly accept his work as well. You see, the difference in a man and a woman, when you have man you do not need to worry that in the future there might be a young one who would matter more than the mission. But for woman, it is a concern. That was one point Dreykov understood. So my colleges will help us remove that threat. I believe your mother went through a similar procedure at your age, did she not? A part of her 'Graduation' was it not?"

My eyes widen and I shook my head fervently. No. No this wasn't happening. They were giving me a hysterectomy? I was too young to even decide if kids was a part of my future and now it was being ripped from me? Was this how mom had felt? Had they tied her down to do it too?

"Please - Please don't."

"Unfortunately little Spider, you do not get a say in this."

A blue eyed assistant looked at the man and nodded. He nodded back and washed his hands before walking back over to me, pulling on a pair of gloves. I pulled at the chains, struggling against them. Willing them to break. Willing myself to disappear. To go back in time anything.

The assistant handed over a large metal tool, from my angle I couldn't quiet tell what it was. Not that I would have known. Medical tools hadn't been something I studied. Another moved to the bedside and lifted my gown. The doctor took the tool and placed it against my abdomen. He pushed it through my skin and I watched in horror but made no movement to indicated I had felt it. 

"Amazing. I had heard rumors that you did not feel but I will admit, I had not believed them. Such a rare condition to not feel pain, but the rumors say yours is much more than that. Do you truly not feel at all Little Spider?"

I didn't respond. Instead I closed my eyes and leaned my head back trying to ignore what was about to happen to me. Willing the sleeping drugs to take over again. I wasn't sure how long it took, but after sometime I cracked my eyes to see the assistants cleaning up and the Doctor watching the monitors. I glanced down but they had replaced my dress. 

The disgusting pig actually looked pleased with himself. Like he hadn't just stolen away a part of me. A choice I should have been given when the time was right. Not taken  from me at seventeen. I wanted to rip him apart, take my revenge. And if the chains weren't holding me down I would have. Instead I lay on the bed dreaming of it, while he and the others walked around me as if nothing had happened. 

They spoke once again in German and I focused on their conversation trying to catch as much as possible. 

"Drug her and prep the ... We will begin the procedure as soon as it is done. We don't want to ..."

"Understood Sir." 

One of the assistants drew a needle and stepped towards me. I wanted to fight, to break free and end it but it was useless. Instead of poking me with the needle she stuck it into the IV tube.  My eye lids grew heavy once more, I blinked back the sleepiness and tried to fight it off as they tightened the straps on the bed and began to wheel it out of the room. Just after we passed the door into the hallway I lost my battle with the drugs.