Chapter 1

Aerilyn

I stalked my prey through the thick brush, my advance slow and footfalls quiet, eyes focused on the rabbit, so not to spook it. The rabbit lifts it's head, I pause, and watch as the small brown creature sniffs at the air, little whiskers twitching. After a moment, it turns it's attention back to the grass in front of it. I lift the bow, slowly and quietly before I take aim and pull the string taunt. I suck in a deep breath, and let the arrow fly on the exhale. The arrow hits the rabbit with a dull thud. Dead.

I get up and make my way over to my pray. That should be enough. I pull my arrow free and replace it in my quiver. Pulling the knife free from my boot, I pick up the rabbit. I take no pleasure in skinning and killing animals, however, I had a younger sister to feed. I could sell the furs and scrape enough money together to pay the tithe owed to the Demon King, 

I slowly make my way back through the woods, wading through dense bushes and around tree branches pulling at my clothes. I can see the village not far. It is small with only a handful of dilapidated houses and one big decaying tree in the middle. This may have once been a thriving small village, but those days have long gone. Now it was filled with poor and hungry people, a tavern and a few crumbling houses. 

As I make my way past the faded yellow tavern, I can hear the loud, drunken merriment coming from inside. That's strange. The hungry villagers often spend all their time drinking to drown out the hunger pangs. But it's never this loud. I sneak to the back window of the tavern, making sure to stay in the shadow before peering through the window. Inside, I can see some of the villagers, drunkenly laughing and dancing, a feint glow around them. Several strangers encouraging them. 

No, not strangers, demons.

They are dressed in finery. Bright colorful clothing made of shiny and soft looking fabrics I have never seen before. They have curving horns of varying sizes and if I squint I can just make out the delicate tails behind them. The demon in the front, seemingly the leader, is a tall man with golden blonde hair and green eyes. But it's the shimmering glow around his hand that draws my attention. That same glow around the dancing villagers. He is magicking them. 

I sink lower, hiding deeper in the shadows. I see the blonde demon speak, but I can't hear anything. The glow around his hand intensifying, before the villagers start kissing each other. Some of the other demons behind the blonde man, join the villagers. Kissing them and pulling at their clothes. It's not long until small groups break off and start fucking in the room. All to the amusement of the blonde demon. I pull back from the window, shocked. 

I look around, sure that no one has seen me, before I make my way down the street, away from the debauchery behind me. I walk up to the small crumbling house, next to our own crumbling house. Hanging one of the fresh rabbit carcasses on the doorknob, knocking on the door and walking away. I hear the door to Rolcan's house open, just as I close the door of our house. 

"Ayla, I am back", I place the remaining two rabbit carcasses on the table, before moving over to the fire pit, stoking the fire higher. I turn and put a big black pot over the fire before turning back to the rabbits. Ayla is standing in the doorway, her short white hair reflecting the soft glow of the fire. Her blue eyes shining, genuinely happy to see me, as she makes her way over. 

Even at 15 years old, Ayla was beautiful. Her cheeks still retaining that childlike look, her short wavy white hair just brushing the tops of her shoulders. Ayla had a gift for plants and gardening that I didn't have. While I hunted, Ayla spend her time gardening and concocting potions to sell at the market. 

"I saw some demons at the tavern, stay away from there", I say sternly as I start cutting up the carcasses and putting it in the pot, already filled with chopped up vegetables prepared by Ayla.

"Yes Aerilyn", rolling her blue eyes before smiling cheekily, "What do they look like?" 

"I'm serious Ayla, I saw some shit at the tavern... stay away from there". She heaves a deep sigh, before helping me at the pot. 

"Did you go to the market today?" 

Ayla looks at me with a frown. "I did, but I only sold a few potatoes. Bryon asked for some furs instead"

I nod my head as I dish some rabbit and potato stew, "I will go to the market tomorrow to sell all the furs we have. We need to pay the tithe soon. How much did you make?"

Ayla bites her bottom lip, hesitating, "Only 5 coppers"

I smile at her and squeeze her hand over the bowl of stew, "Don't worry, everything will be okay".

I hope everything will be okay.