Chapter One: "Raat Baaki Hai"

Aradhana Sehgal

I walk towards the deck, seeing the sun settle down into the sea, glittering and glowing like something heavenly as the opposites of blue and orange mingle, a Yin and Yang as the breeze got colder, and the waters darker.

Bustling of a crowd and clinking of cutlery behind me fades and the overpowering sound of wind and waves takes over while the view of people clicking pictures of and with the sunset gets to my sight.

Amongst all the quieting chaos, a strumming catches my attention.
'Jiyein Kyun' by Papon, one of my dearest songs being played on a guitar slowly by a guy in deep blue shirt and light brown hair in a far off corner. As if an inexplicable force pushed me to his the direction, drawn to the Pied Piper, I walk untill the strumming gets louder and louder.

I say nothing as the guy turns around to look at me, not stopping his fingers on the guitar. He's pretty, like olden jwellery. A golden dark skin complimenting his light honey eyes with a couple freckles around his nose, he's got some fluff to his cheeks and is fairly groomed. I pass him a small smile that goes unnoticed by him, taking a seat beside him.

I humm along the tune and then catch the lyrics, looking at the sunset like he was all this while,
"Na raat ki nasheeli bye, se neend mein jagaoge".

I notice him turn around to look at me as I look back at him as well, and we sing together the rest of the song, smiling subtly but not at each other, instead at the lyrics.

He put his strumming hand forward,
"Nipun Ranjan"
I shake his hand and introduce myself
"Aaradhana Sehgal, you play well"
"You sing well"

I flash a courteous smile and bow to him.
"Thank you, that means a lot"
"Mere sath gaana gaogi?"

I look at him with confused eyes
"Koi performance hai tumhari?"
"Performance nahi hai, mere dost sath mein shaam ko jamming karenge. I think you'll be a nice addition"
"I'm flattered but-"
"Woh log chill hain, judge nahi karenge"

I chuckle and roll my eyes at his comment and reply
"That's not what I'm worried about"
"Toh phir?"
"It's just" I sigh, taking a pause and shurgging before continuing "I don't even know you guys"

He squints his eyes for a few second and then turns around to face me completely
"Nipun Ranjan. 23. College student final year, internship chal rahi hai, financing major. Guitar aur drums pasand hain, mera favourite colour orange hai, main gulab jamun ke liye jaan de sakta hun, flat me doston ke sath rehta hu, mummy papa Chennai se hain, masti karni pasand hai, lucky number 2, thoda sa mentally unstable-"

'thoda sa?' I think to myself and look at him with my jaw dropped and eyes wide as he keeps going, blabbering about himself like he has learnt this paragraph by the tongue.

"-extroverted"
"Woh toh dikh raha hai"
He stops after hearing my comment.
"Kyu, koi buri baat hai?"
I shake my head giggling,
"Aren't you like, scared?"
"Scared? Kis baat ka scared?"
"I don't know like... Identity theft, security wagerah. What if I'm a serial killer. Dar nahi lagta?"

He looks to the direction of the sea and thinks for a few seconds and then turns around, flashing me a toothy smile with crooked canines.
"Nahi." is all he says before I burst out laughing.

"Kaafi interesting ho tum"
"Par tum interesting ho ya nahi mujhe kese pata chalega"
"Matlab?"
"Maine sab kuch bataya mere baare mein, tum bhi batao."
I tilt my head, contemplating his unhinged, borderline ADHD behaviour.

"Kyun bataun? Mujhe kya milega?"
"Arrey yaar! Badi matlabi ho tum"
I giggle as he exclaims sarcastically.

"Jamming kitni baje hai, Nipun?"
"Kuch fix nahi hai, tumhara number dedo, call kar dunga"
I narrow my eyes, and end up giving him my number anyway. If he's a serial killer, then atleast I'll die after having a good laugh.

"Acche se gaana, don't embarass me"
"Tumne toh kaha tha tumhare dost judge nahi karenge"
"Tumhe. Tumhe judge nahi karenge, par mujhe zarur karenge. Meri naak bacha liyo bas"
I let out a good laugh as I can now barely see him, the sun far too low and dunked as it gets darker all over.
"Time se call kar dena"
"Done dana done" he says and turns around, taking his guitar with him and dissolving into the darkened image of the crowd. What a weirdly interesting man, I smile and start walking back inside and approach my room. I send my Baba some pictures and text him-

Aradhana
"I wish aap log bhi aa paate"

Baba
"Betu, tum enjoy karo. Tension mat lo"

Aradhana
"Mumma ki tabiyat ab kesi hai?"

Baba
"Better hai. Main dhyan rakh lunga, tum apna dhyan rakho"

Aradhana
"Haan Baba. Aap dono dhyan rakhna"

Baba
"Photos bhejte rehna"

Aradhana
"👍👍"

We three were supposed to be together, but just a couple days prior, mumma got injured and they both had to stay back. I didn't originally want to come here alone, but Baba didn't let me cancel the tickets and made me go. Honestly, I'm glad he did so. I needed this break, from work and bills. The cruise was nice enough to refund two tickets and I could finally relax. I just thought I might be a bit lonely here, all by myself surrounded by strangers, but turns out Nipun might be my saviour.

Author's note
I haven't got much to say, but this story is sort of dear to me. I'll try to make it as good as I can, and update as often as possible.
Thank you for reading the first chapter, I hope you enjoy this story :3.
Untill next time lovelies....

Word count: 980