Chapter Two: Clowder

After a long silence during our walk, "Why did they call you Marbles instead of Poker-Face?" I ask Marbles, half-jesting.

The Raincoat has that poker face on right now and utters nothing. I don't think I've offended her. She doesn't find insult in the mouth of her friends and only speaks for serious talk and when she feels like it. Having a third party or more people around seldom hold good meaning for her. For whatever reason. I'm always curious to know more about her. If there's more, that is. Nobody can make her open up about herself.

A man stands in the distance ahead of us, wearing the same attire as me, except for the long sleeves of his hoodie, one of which I lack. I recognize it as one of my fellow Warriors, Ink-Man, commonly called Inky (real name is Zeha Levi Jordan Corre). Like me and the rest of our faction, he wears feline-themed makeup, his being a black-and-white cat. He has gray-brown eyes that appear to gleam both in the dark and in the light. His alphanumeric code is Z070524.

He has strong facial features, a lean body, and wide set shoulders. His noticeably thick double eyelids and prominent nose give him a fierce and charismatic look. His skin is smooth and soft like a baby's which makes him somewhat a babyface.

"Yo, buds!" Inky greets with a wave. "You're finally here."

I run to him while Marbles keeps her pace. Inky is the closest friend I have for a brother in the Warriors. His personality is so likable and energetic. He keeps the atmosphere alive and light-hearted.

"You don't have a hunting partner?" I ask.

Inky shoves his hand dismissively in the air. "Nah, and who cares? You two are my clowder. I asked Zero to let me join you on every hunting mission."

Purring, I pat him on the shoulder, and then I head onward side by side with Marbles. Inky follows our lead.

"Do you think there really is a seventh realm?" he asks.

I'm compelled to tell him the truth. That the seventh realm has the form of a cave and I've been there long ago. But I swallow the words and say, "People won't believe in it if it isn't true."

He sighs. "I'm thinking this is pointless. We've been fighting and hunting for years. With no progress."

Hmm, I think to myself. I guess I'm not the only one thinking that way. I glance toward Marbles, but she has her attention upfront. She's listening to us, I know it, and privately absorbing our conversation. That's one thing she's good at. Pretending not to care.

I feel a hand tug at the tail of my hoodie and pull me back. I look back to see Marbles gripping it. She has her other hand on Inky, blocking him. We both stop. When I ask her what is wrong, she points ahead. I follow her finger's direction. My heart lurches forward. Autocrats on patrol are heading our way through the mud-colored mist. I recognize the guy fronting their troop.

Phantom.

He's the leader of the Autocrats, "the top dog of the world", to quote him, and "the best of the best". Or so he believes. This bastard is a level ninety-niner, like everyone else in his faction of darksnout bigots, and this lifted his arrogance to an insufferable degree. Facing me, his red lenses glint in the hazy shadows. I take one step backward. My companions do not pull out their weapons. I sense Inky's tense breathing and Marbles' hardening gaze the further they diminish the distance between our groups.

With him are the best of his men: Raven, the only sensible Autocrat who's rumored to have her own agenda; Crimson, a trigger-happy bastard; Baron, a noble but hypocritical giant; Frost, cold and taciturn; and Titus, who's just like Baron but has a darker aspect. The Autocrats live like dogs—attacking and chasing anyone they believe is prey; barking and howling senseless bullshit about control and power with their fists raised; destroying stuff to satisfy their boredom; oppressing every race for being "lowly" in their eyes.