Chapter 1 - New beginnings

"Up, come on! We need to get to the station on time!" Remus bellowed from the bottom of the stairs.

Sophia groaned and pulled her pillow over her head, willing time to go backwards, just an hour or so. She had spent the previous day trying to open her care of magical creatures book, and failing miserably. She had worked tirelessly into the night after Sebastian refused to reveal how he had managed his.

Just as she was about to get back to sleep the door burst open. "Get up! We'll be late! And I need help finding my quill." Sebastian rushed around the room, pulling her wardrobe open and throwing her a white t-shirt and black trousers.

Sophia grumbled and began to stand from the bed. "Hello and good morning to you too." She wrapped her arms around her small frame before padding over to where her brother stood and outstretched her arms.

Sebastian rolled his eyes and playfully flicked her temple, she scowled and pocked his chest. "If I just got up to help you look for the stuff that you should have packed yesterday and you don't even hug me, I swear to God, I will kill you."

He chuckled and threw his arms around her in an engulfing hug. Sophia's forehead fell on his shoulder.

They stood that way for a few minutes before Remus' voice traveled through the small cottage once again. "Come on, Soph, we can't miss this train!"

"I'm up, dad! You can stop shouting like a lunatic now!" She called out. Then grabbed her clothes and made her way to the bathroom to get ready. On her way out she turned, "check under your desk drawers, for the quill." She suggested wearily.

                                       ***

Remus held a red leather jacket out towards her. Sophia slipped her arms inside it, before holding it closed at her stomach. "I told you it'd be cold." Remus sighed, he had grabbed her jacket from her bag last minute when Sophia refused to wear one while leaving.

Sophia smiled, thinking about the place she was raised, it had been sad to leave it yet again but it would always be there to go back to, as it had been the previous two years. Hogwarts was new to her and her brother, Beauxbatons had been fun, but it hadn't felt like home. People always said your school of witchcraft and wizardry should be like a second home, but she hadn't felt like that in France. Maybe Hogwarts would be different.

They entered the train and settled into a small compartment, Remus settled against the window, Sophia next to him and Sebastian opposite them. "Now kids, I know you love to be little rascals, but you need to behave at Hogwarts. They don't usually allow people to join at a random year, however, as I am going to be teaching there, Dumbledore decided to make an exception."

"Dumbledore is the headmaster, right?" Sebastian questioned, itching his jaw slightly. He was nervous. Sophia could tell, Sebastian had been expelled from Beauxbatons because of her and she made a silent promise to herself that she would do anything and everything she could to make Hogwarts the best experience possible. He deserved to have fun and not worry about his sister's antics. She could do that. It wasn't a guarantee she wouldn't do anything reckless or against the rules, but a promise he would have no part in it and that he would never know enough to worry.

"Yes, wonderful man, Dumbledore. He was headmaster when I was a student there, he did so much for me when I was a boy, so I'd appreciate it if you didn't make his life difficult."
Remus gave a pointed look at Sophia, to which she rolled her eyes and added, "Fine, Dad, I promise to not get caught breaking the rules."