no matter what

⚡︎24 years ago⚡︎

Michelle - 6 years old

I was dragging my feet towards my front door. Exhausted mentally and physically from yet another long day of training with the hero commission. This was the first time my training ran super late. I'm not even sure what time it was, but the stars and the moon were shining bright up in the sky, and the streets were quiet. I grabbed on to my door knob and looked over at my best friend's apartment door. "I'm sorry I missed another playdate with you. I hope you can forgive me, Shouta." I whispered as guilt built up in me. I winced as I turned the knob. My fingers, hand, arm, hell my whole body just ached from such intense training. I never wanted to start training. I never cared about my quirk, but seeing how happy Toshinori got when I got the offer to train as a pro-hero so early made me sad. He was quirkless, but determined to find a way to always help people.I felt guilty. A boy who wished for a quirk and a girl who didn't want hers.

I walked in expecting a dark, quiet house. To my surprise I see a dimmed light shining over our small dinner table. My slightly older brother was sleeping on it.

Toshinori abruptly woke up when I closed the door behind me. "You're home!" He smiled as he quickly stood up and ran into the kitchen. "Why are you still up? It's really late." I dropped my backpack and took off my shoes as quietly as I could. Our dad fell ill a few days ago, so it has only been Toshinori and I taking care of one another. Another reason why I agree to continue my training. I overheard that the hero commission would be giving our dad a weekly stipend depending on my improvement. The more obedient I was, the more money he would get. "I needed to make sure you arrived safely. I made you some curry, so I hope you like it!" As he sat the hot plate on the table, tears started to form as I pouted. I wasn't sure if I was tearing up because my brother cooked me a meal, stayed up late, dad being sick, or the pain I was feeling in my bones. I was overwhelmed with emotions and I just needed to let it out. I want to quit, but how can I think that when it kept a roof over our heads, food on the table, and my brother cheering me on. "What's wrong Mims?". His face softened as I cried quietly behind my bandaid hands. It all felt so much.

Toshinori grabs my trembling hands and inspects them carefully. Looking puzzled, almost like he didn't know how to react. I can't make him worry. I can't. "T-t-thank you..f-for dinner." I sniffled out as I forced a smile. "Michelle.." He wipes a tear from my face, "I know times are tough right now, but I believe in you. You will become the best pro-hero ever. I will always be your number one fan and will always be supporting you the whole way. I will be there no matter what. Don't give up."

⚡︎present day⚡︎

"Are you ready?" I was in my new spacious office. It had a beautiful view of the city, which meant I had lots of natural light. I look up to Hawks as he flops on the couch that was in the middle of my office."I am, but suddenly I'm nervous. Is that normal?" I asked, as I gathered the files and my laptop. "Of course it is, but what are you so nervous about? Your plan is perfect." He gets up as he follows behind me leaving my office. "I know, but I think some people might not agree on some things." We walked into the elevator and I pressed the button to the floor where the meeting was taking place. I had just come up with a rescue plan to get Bakugo back from the League of Villains and it involves a lot of police officers, and pro-heroes. "Who would get mad at your plan?" It's like the universe wants to punish me even more. Just when he said that, the elevator door opened and there he was.

Aizawa locked eyes with me the second the door opened, and quickly looked over at Hawks who was standing right behind me. We both moved to the side, allowing him and Kan, also known as Vlad King. The homeroom teacher for class 2-A. Hawks and I nod at them as they walk in. Hawks leans over my shoulder, "Whoever doesn't agree with your plan, they're simply a moron and don't understand your intelligence." I slightly elbowed him in his stomach so he could shut his mouth. "So the rumors are true," We turn to face Vlad King who is looking down at us with an arched eyebrow. "You work for the Hero Commission now, Volten?". Relief washed down my body. "Yes she is! She was selected by no other than Madam President herself! She knows Volten is such a talented pro-hero that she knew she could take on any responsibility!" He gave them both a smirk as he laid his arms on my shoulder. The doors finally open, and I shrug his hands off of me. Walking out first from the elevator to get away from the awkwardness, only to be stopped by All Might.