Chapter: 9

The call was from his predecessor's mother.

"Hello, Mom, what's up?"

"It's nothing major. The chestnuts at home are ripe, so I sent you some. Remember there are also some of your favorite snacks like fermented bean curd, pickled cabbage, dried sweet potatoes, and sausage..." His mother rattled off a long list of items before hesitantly adding, "Old Four..."

"Yeah, Mom, I'm listening. What do you want to say?" Meng Zezhi said gently.

His mother paused for a moment, sighed inwardly, and continued, "Your eldest sister's children are getting married now, and our house is getting a bit crowded. Your eldest sister and brother in law are thinking about buying another apartment. What do you think?"

This seemed like a setup for Meng Zhezhi to fork out money. Over the years, including the filial piety given to mother Meng during new year and other festivals, the amount of money that his predecessor received from his home was no less than two million. Due to the incident with his third brother's family, Xu Jiaqing and his predecessor almost got divorced. After that, his predecessor became less involved in his siblings' affairs.

In this way, there was much more room for Meng Zhezhi to play freely. He said, "I remember eldest sister's house was built just a few years ago, wasn't it?"

  In order to build that house, Mother Meng contributed ten thousand, and the predecessor took out eighty thousand, which, although not much, was all the savings the predecessor had at the time. On the other hand, his eldest sister's family, apart from spending a sum of money when the house was roofed and hosting a banquet, didn't really take much money out.

At that time, this ninety thousand was enough to build a two-story, seven bedroom and one-living-room small Western-style building in the countryside.

If it had been before, hearing her say that, old four would have undoubtedly agreed without hesitation.

At this moment, Mother Meng clearly heard the refusal in her son's words.

She instantly changed her tone: "Well, when your eldest sister's family was building the house, the foundation was actually laid quite deep, and now that it's not enough to live in, you can add another floor on top..."

In fact, it's not that he could not understand Mother Meng's feelings. *The palm and the back of her hand were all her own flesh and blood. Unfortunately, in order to send her youngest son out of the mountains, her eldest son and two daughters have made great sacrifices.

(Showing no favoritism towards ones children)

Now that her youngest son has achieved great success, it's naturally time for him to repay his siblings.

In her view, although her eldest son has married into the wife's family, fortunately, the bride's family was well-off and has never been short of anything. Now that he has a child with his own surname, his back has straightened, and his character has become much more cheerful.

As for her youngest daughter, although she married a disabled person, she was fortunate that her husband was an honest man with no parents of his own. As soon as she entered the door, she could take charge of the house. Although life was difficult at first, later her second son-in-law had a car accident, and her youngest son paid for his leg to be treated. Now he rides a motorcycle to carry passengers in the county. He works hard and is more than enough to support his family.

  Only the eldest daughter married a widower and raised a group of stepchildren. After twenty-four years of marriage, she didn't even have a child of her own. As for her eldest son-in-law, he had achieved nothing and could only live by farming in the village. Moreover, now that he was getting older, he was becoming less physically capable. He would fall ill every now and then, and all the burden of the family would fall on her eldest daughter.