Chapter. 16

The invitation card was sent by Chen Yinglong, who was getting married to Xu Jiaqing at the end of this month. It was not just a demonstration against Meng Zezhi but also a clear reminder to him.

Because according to the plot, after the wedding, Chen Yinglong would feel triumphant and satisfied, then mercilessly push predecessor, who was already disheartened, onto the rooftop of the hospital.

"What's wrong?" Zhu Zhengqing walked over, and with just one glance, he saw the large words "Bride Xu Jiaqing" on the invitation. His hand, hanging by his side, unconsciously tightened.

"Nothing much," Meng Zezhi replied calmly. "My ex-wife is remarrying and sent me an invitation."

With that, he casually tossed the invitation into the nearby trash can.

Seeing this, Zhu Zhengqing's mood improved somewhat.

Meng Zezhi pushed the stool next to him towards Zhu Zhengqing. "How's the project going?"

Zhu Zhengqing sighed lightly as he sat down. "I don't have much of a clue at the moment."

He had previously planned a good project, but it was based on the foundation of the previous research results. Later, those results were stolen, along with the project proposal. Although they managed to retrieve the research results, the project proposal had already circulated. There was no guarantee that the culprits wouldn't research it ahead of time. In that case, they would really be in trouble.

So, just in case, Zhu Zhengqing can only make other plans.

  However, projects were not so easily prepared.

The laboratory had limited resources, and large-scale projects were out of the question. Even the average-sized projects could only be done once, as doing more would be unfair to the generous conditions that Capital University had provided to bring him back from Harvard.

"Well," Meng Zezhi pondered for a moment, then suggested, "How about this: once I develop the cure, we work together on developing a vaccine for AIDS?"

This wasn't a sudden idea for Meng Zezhi. The process of developing the cure had given him quite a bit of inspiration. He had been thinking about this since last month.

Since he was already close to developing the cure, why not add to it by developing a vaccine as well?

"A vaccine?" Zhu Zhengqing's eyes lit up, clearly showing interest.

"With you on board, I'm sixty percent confident we can develop the vaccine," Meng Zezhi offered a conservative estimate.

"Okay," Zhu Zhengqing agreed without hesitation.

He chose to trust Meng Zezhi.

"Great," Meng Zezhi smiled. "I'll send you the relevant materials that I have organized in a couple of days."

"Okay," Zhu Zhengqing nodded.

Little did they know that right after Meng Zezhi finished dealing with those ten reviewers, he fell ill.

This time, it wasn't just coughing, bloody stools, or nausea—it was an unexplained persistent fever.

  His condition worsened.

Meng Zezhi knew that his condition was obviously no longer fit to stay in the laboratory.

Fortunately, he had Zhu Zhengqing.

With a towel on his forehead and a pale complexion, Meng Zezhi said helplessly, "I'll have to trouble you for the next steps."

"Don't worry," Zhu Zhengqing replied solemnly as he adjusted the blanket.