Chapter IX - The Run II

The woman was confronted with two choices. 

She could stay cowardly hidden in the tree, at a safe distance from the wolves. That would mean that she'd also have to live with that cowardice, knowing that she stood by and did nothing. Albeit paralyzed by fear just as she once had been, Tabitha would be going against everything she stood for. 

She could also ignore her brain yelling at her to stay put. She could climb down and make a mad dash towards the screams she could still hear.

To be the hero, the leader she painted herself to be towards her people, safely guarded by the book club's member cards. Or to be no more than a wolf, who stood by and watched injustice after injustice, not doing a thing.

She admits now that she hesitated. Who wouldn't, she reasoned with herself. The wolves were much stronger, much bigger, much deadlier. If she stood between a wolf and their soulmate, she could consider herself as good as dead. She'd probably meet a swift bloody death, just as her father before her.

It was raining once again, stumping Tabitha out of her own thoughts.

With a sudden rush of mad confidence she attempted to climb down, failing miserably after a couple of branches, and hitting the ground hard.

A never ending shiver consuming her, joined by bloody hands and knees - and what was probably a sprained ankle if the pain she felt was any indication of her new injury - seemed to give her the last bit of strenght to do what was right.

Maybe if it was raining any less, maybe if her gaze wasn't steadily fixed on the direction she saw Mrs. Dove being dragged to, maybe she would have noticed the snapping of twigs near her.

She, however, didn't hear a thing.

Ditching the strategic jog that she adopted hours before, her feet hit the ground harder than ever. Adrenaline always came in a clutch.

Tabitha had a small advantage that let her gain on them. Firstly, even if the wolf was faster - which he was - he was considerably slowed down by a struggling Mrs. Dove. Secondly, the struggling, even if muffled by the pouring of rain, was loud and clear, indicating that they were right in front of her.

Stupid or brave, Tabitha wasn't too sure of a distinction at the moment.

"HEY!" She hollered.

The wolf took to the challenge immediately. Could there be anything more humiliating than a puny human stopping him from getting his beautiful mate safe and out of the rain? 

He stood tall, bigger than she remembered a wolf could be. Mrs. Dove scrambled to be out the way, wide eyes fixed on Tabitha.

"Please don't hurt her! She's my friend!" The pregnant woman begged him.

In the wolf's tiny moment of hesitation, Tabitha picked up a skipping stone and threw it his way, hitting him square in the snout.

There was a moment of silence between the three of them.

Then, he roared.

Tabitha was pretty certain that she no longer needed to use the bathroom, thank you very much.

She just hoped that Mrs. Dove accepted her sacrifice and managed to escape, while she was to have her throat ripped by the woman's soulmate.

She took off running madly, praying to whatever God there was that her death would be as quick as humanly possible. The wolf quickly gained on her, sending her to the ground. The wolf's teeth were shiny, still white. There was spit everywhere, falling on her. Tabitha, in a desperate attempt to save her friend called out to her, begging her to run, to save herself. Mrs. Dove accepted the boone that came her way and took off, not wanting to see her friend have her throat ripped out in front of her. 

The wolf was distracted once again by his mate's attempt at escaping. 

That was all it took. 

An even bigger wolf jumped their way, removing the other one in a showcase of brute force. They growled at each other before attacking. Sharp teeth on both ends, snouts pointed in a clear show of dominance. They were tumbling all over the place, making dents on the trees, destroying everything in their path.

Tabitha wasn't going to stick around to see the outcome of the fight. She knew to take the opportunity to make herself scarce. However her ankle - no longer being protected by a spike of adrenaline - screamed in protest, slowing down her movement. She took to the trees, holding on to the trunks that filled the forest. Tabitha hoped that the battle between the wolves took longer than she realistically knew was going to take. With a throbbing headache from the rain and the cold she couldn't think straight.

What to do, what to do, she desperately thought.

Going back to the original plan, Tabitha put all of her failling strenght into climbing a tree. Failed attempt after failed attempt made her eyes burn with unshed tears. The woman was glad she was able to save Mrs. Dove, but what was the point? Either the wolf died and she got to go home, or he would pick himself up and sniff her out.

And to add insult to injury there was the other wolf. Bigger than the other, but with teeth just as sharp, Tabitha could lie to herself all she wanted. There was only one reason as to why that wolf bothered attacking the other. He was going to come for her and there was nothing she could do about it.

The feeling of absolute despair finally hit her. She wasn't going to be able to put enough distance between them.

The paralyzing fear was back, and all she could do was curling in on herself to generate some warmth.