2. The new beginning

"Is it time for the teleportation room now?" Logan glanced questioningly at Mr. Matthew, who sent him a slightly mocking smile.

"From now on, you're sightless, so we have quite a long walk ahead of us," he said, to which the whole trio sent him sympathetic looks.

"You must be kidding, sir," the voice of young Black was filled with indignation bubbling up inside him.

"Not in that tone, young man. Now, I invite you to step out," the man gestured to the door just behind him.

"Don't complain, you're the one who got us into this," Mike muttered as he passed by him. And the dark-haired one just realized he was right. He was the one seeking something new in life; he was the one who wrote their names on the paper. He was to blame for everything that would happen in Jersey City. Yet, at that moment, he didn't know that much more would happen than he could have imagined.

The director headed towards the exit, and the boys followed him, grabbing their luggage they had packed earlier this morning. However, none of them felt like carrying them at this moment, even though the station was just half a mile away. So, when the director momentarily looked away from them using a spell, they quickly made their bags lose all their weight, but not their size. And that's how they traversed the crowded streets of Brooklyn, forgetting they were carrying anything, resulting in Chris abandoning his belongings several times.

Finally reaching the station, they bought tickets, boarded the train, and took seats in one of the empty compartments. As soon as Logan sat down and leaned against the seat, he heard shouts coming from the corridor, where amused children were running around. A moment later, the sound of a phone call reached his ears, followed by the laughter of two girls occupying the compartment next to theirs. The boy opened his previously closed eyes, uttered a quiet "silentium," and then threw something resembling a red ball of radiating light with beams and sparks at the door. It scattered across all the walls, and suddenly all the noises from outside ceased. Right after that, he looked at the guardian sitting next to him, who sent him a stern look. The director saw what he did thanks to the Videre secretum spell cast on him by his friend. However, he didn't comment on it in any way because it suited him. The man valued his privacy, and besides, he was exhausted after the past week and finalizing everything to the last detail. Together with the director of the wizarding world, they falsified documents about two supposed students from another school who were now studying at the school in Brooklyn. It was a truly exhausting process and long hours spent correcting all the important information regarding this undertaking. They were playing for too high a price to make a mistake. There was no room for even the smallest error. Everyone had to believe that Nicholas's school in Brooklyn was just an ordinary institution.

***

A single drop of water trickled down the train window, leaving a wet trail behind. It merged with another drop, then vanished completely, dispersed by a strong gust of wind. They had been riding for over fifteen minutes, with the only sights to admire from the window being the cityscape illuminated by sunlight breaking through dark clouds. Mike listened to the melody Logan tapped out on the seat frame, bored. Meanwhile, Chris focused his attention on the individual raindrops falling from the sky. Their guardian, in the meantime, recorded in his thick, leather-bound notebook adorned with a golden bookmark, the dates of upcoming meetings, including those related to student exchange programs. There was no talk of any rest; his duties seemed to increase day by day, and the media buzzed about the trio of boys who were supposed to arrive at his high school. He was constantly bombarded with questions, to which he either couldn't provide answers, or when he did, he had to lie and remember everything he said. It was tough, certainly tougher than he had initially thought.