Etienne's Record

Far away from the Island of Sodor lies a massive railway connecting all parts of France. Why France? Because today, I will be talking about the story of one engine who had achieved the impossible.

   France has a gigantic railway system connecting several provinces and several neighboring countries. There are engines who are steam powered, engines who are diesel powered, and there are new engines that are powered by a source of energy that lights up our houses - and that is Electricity.

   Etienne is an Electric Engine. He has an unusual shape and has eight wheels, two cabs and has a special device called a Pantograph - which is used to collect electricity on suspended cables above the track. He is painted green and has a funny-looking mustache, and his number is BB-9004.
   He is one of two electric engines of his class along with his older sister, numbered BB-9003. He works on the railway pulling passenger trains, but this year he will be tested to see how fast he can go.

   The story takes place in a railway in Bordeaux, a place far away from the nation's capital. In a little yard, a fleet of Engines keep everything running; and all of them are being overworked to keep up with postwar demands. The heart of the fleet is Anton, a Big Engine who's main job is to pull the express and manage all passenger trains; Aiding him is an American-built engine named Virginie - a Mixed-traffic engine who pulls both Passenger Trains and Goods trains. Other engines of a similar role are Juliette - a Pacific Engine like Gordon, Paul - a Ten-wheeler like Henry, and Georges - a Diesel engine. There are also shunters like Thomas and Percy, but theirs are a large tank locomotive named Marie and a little diesel with a big ego named Jean Bart.
   The engines work all day and do not get the rest they need. After a single task has ended, they move on to the next. Every time they wish for a rest, they would always complain on how tiring each and every job they handle. They would wish that more engines would come and help them regardless what type it is. Today is their lucky day, because Etienne the Electric Engine will answer their prayers.

   The engines were all resting in the yard when Monsieur Pierre - the Manager - approached them.
   "Bonjour mes amis."
   "Bonjour, Monsieur Pierre." The engines greeted in unison.
   "I know that all of you have been wanting a nice, long rest within the past few days. I've been hearing complaints by our Drivers that you wanted another engine to help you out on your endless amount of work."
   He paused impressively, and his words were very promising.
   "Will there be a new engine?" Anton asked.
   The other engines started asking questions to Monsieur Pierre.
   "Tell us, sir! Is he a Diesel?" Added Jean Bart.
   "Is he a Steam Engine?" Juliette mentioned.
   Monsieur Pierre laughed. "No."
   "Then who?" They all said.

   Just then, a loud horn was heard in the distance. A green-colored engine started rolling into the yard with a train of empty coaches behind his back. He had a funny mustache and has the number BB-9004. We all know the engine's name is Etienne, but to the others, they thought him to be the most beautiful - and unusual sight - to behold.
   "Mesdames et Messieurs. Allow me to introduce to you all, BB-9004." Monsieur Pierre said. "However, we call him by the name of Etienne." 
   "Bonjour." Etienne honked shyly.
   "Bonjour Etienne." The other engines greeted in unison.
   Jean Bart felt disappointed that the engine he was expecting was a Diesel, Anton expected it to be a Steam Engine, but all of them doesn't care what kind of Engine they wanted to work with.
   Virginie got curious and asked Etienne what was on top of him.
   "Etienne? What's that thing on top of your roof? It looks like a Radar of some sort."
   "Ho ho ho!" Etienne chuckled. "That thing is called a Pantograph."
   The engines were amused and curious as they have heard of a Pantograph. Etienne continued.
   "A Pantograph is a device used by us Electric engines-"
   "Hold the line, Etienne." Georges butted in. "Did you say 'Electric'?"
   "Oui monsieur." Etienne said. "I am an Electric engine, and my main power source is Electricity."
   "Interesting." Anton said. "But what if there's power outage? You'll get stuck in the middle of the main line."
   "Shush! Don't mention it! He'll be offended." Paul said.
   Etienne just laughed and knows what will happen. He knows that if there is an electrical outage on the railway, he will be saved by a Diesel or a Steam Engine.