two | first day

"God, it's seriously been a while since we were all together.." Kaede spoke, tilting her head. "Did you get taller, Shuichi?"

"Nah, his ahoge definitely just grew more.." Kaito squinted, tugging on the blue strand of hair. "How does it do that?"

"Ah, I dunno.. I get it from my dad, I guess?" Shuichi shrugged.

Excited, Kaede quickly perked up. "Oh my gosh, can we please go see your dad after school is over?"

"Yeah, can we? He's nice." Maki added, brushing her fingers through her ponytail.

Korekiyo nodded. "I agree."

"Hm? Yeah, I don't think he'd mind.. he pretty much sees you all as his children anyways." Shuichi chuckled, awkwardly fidgeting with his fingers.

Finally, at last, the whole group was in the car.

Of course, Rantaro was in the front driving and Korekiyo was in the passenger seat next to him. In the back seats, there were Shuichi, Maki, Kaede, and Kaito. Kaito sat on the right, Kaede on the left, and squished inbetween them in the middle seat, was Shuichi. There wasn't enough room for Maki, so embarrassingly, she had to sit on Kaito's lap. These were the unspoken assigned seats for whenever they all went on a car ride together.

"..We're almost at school, y'all." Rantaro sighed, nothing but sheer disappointment in his voice.

"Oh, yeah, I can see the building up ahead.. at least it's our last year here, right? It shouldn't be so bad." Kaito spoke.

"Yeah, have a good attitude! This year could be great for all we know," Kaede added, trying to lift up the mood as usual.

Shuichi nodded. "You're not wrong. It'll be over before we know it, so we should at least make a lot of memories, right?"

Korekiyo snickered before also nodding in agreement. "..Truly, what would we do without the optimism of you three?"

"Right, their happiness almost makes me sick to my stomach.." Maki teased, a smile on her face.

With that, the car came to an abrupt stop.

They were now officially at the school, a year full of ups and downs awaiting them.

Honestly, Shuichi was excited for what was to come. Usually on the first day of school, due to his anxiety, he was never really a big fan of change. He couldn't stand it. But now as he was getting older, it was different. He had five wonderful friends by his side, friends who he knew would support him no matter what. To him, that was better than anything else he could ever even dream of.

"Alright, then! Lesgo," Rantaro suddenly spoke, interrupting Shuichi's train of thought. He left the car first, and then everybody else followed suit.

As the group of six entered the school building together, Shuichi took a look at the scenery. There were so many familiar faces he hadn't seen in a while..

Firstly, Tenko and Himiko were having a rather loud conversation together. It seemed as if Himiko had learned some new magical techniques over the months, and she was trying to show them off. Miu, of course, was with Kiibo. She seemed eager to give him even more updates. Angie was with Tsumugi learning about cosplay, Gonta was with Ryoma and Kirumi discussing bugs, so on and so forth.

"I don't wanna look at these people. Can we go somewhere else before class starts?" Maki muttered, arms crossed.

"Wow, that was straight forward," Rantaro laughed. "In that case, we can go to our usual hangout spot?" He suggested.

"Oh yeah, the garden! That's perfect!" Kaede smiled. "It's a pretty day, and Shuichi likes looking at the birds anyways, right?"

Flinching at the sudden mention of his name, Shuichi nodded in agreement. "..Ah! Yeah, I do."

"Then that settles it, yes? Let's go." Korekiyo stated, swiftly turning around and walking towards the back door that lead to the garden. His stride held so much confidence, not to mention how swiftly his hair swung with each step. For some unknown reason, he always looked so graceful..

Everyone else followed behind him, and it didn't take long for them to arrive to the garden.

It was absolutely beautiful.

Flowers were blooming all around, the grass was green and lively, and the sun was out with the clouds just barely covering it. But more importantly, the thing that Shuichi loved the most were the birds. They were out chirping, flying around one another and having fun, being free and spreading their wings. Ever since he was a little child, Shuichi loved them. He wasn't entirely sure why, but he always considered them a huge sign of good luck. Maybe it was because one day, he wanted to venture out and spread his wings himself instead of letting anxiety overtake him all of the time.

As the others sat on the benches together, Shuichi decided to take this opportunity to snap a few quick photos.

Smiling, he pulled his phone out and opened the camera app. He took a few photos of the birds perched up on tree branches, and then took a few of the birds sitting in the grass.

"How cute.." He whispered to himself, now scrolling back through all of the photos that he had taken.

"..What's cute?" A random voice appeared from behind him.

Being extremely caught off guard, Shuichi yelped and quickly turned around, almost tripping over himself in the process. "Ah- Who are you!?"

Of course, it wasn't his intention to yell at the stranger, but he was very much caught off guard.

"Woah, calm down, I was just curious." The smaller boy huffed, seeming taken aback. He had big purple eyes and purple hair to match, the ends of it seeming to curl upwards. On top of that, he looked to be very beat up. His face had various bruises, and his arms and legs were wrapped in bandages.

"..Okay, I'm sorry, I've just never seen you before." Shuichi apologized, shoving his phone in his pocket as he took a deep breath. "Did you need something..?"

The boy nodded. "Yeah, I'm new here. I was hoping that you could ditch your buddies for a second and help me?"

"Ah, um, as long as it's quick, I don't mind.. what's your name?" Shuichi asked, rather nervous. If his suspicion was right, then that has to mean..

"My name is Kokichi Ouma. What about you?"

Right. Of course his suspicion had to be correct.

"..I'm Shuichi Kirigiri, nice to meet you."