Chapter 12

I woke up with children crying. With a grunt, I tried to get up, my belly to big and thick for me to move comfortably. I had to call Brye to help me, and she dressed me in a pink skirt and a pale yellow tunic then laced my boots for me. The discomfort was constant now, and the babe very vigorous, kicking me all the time. No more could I even rest, the movement inside me distracting and uncomfortable.

Thora served breakfast and I sat down heavily. I really cannot move anymore. Even the small steps from bed to table tires me. Around me children screamed laughed and cried, making my head throb and ache.

"Sister, you need to foster your siblings. You are not well enough to keep care over all four of them and Brye, and your unborn child." She patted my hand kindly.

"I know, but I just got them back. I do not want to lose them already." I say sadly.

"You don't have to. There are childless couples in the village, you can talk to them, see if they desire to be foster parents, and bring you the children to visit everyday. I can call them if you wish." She said.

"I really don't want to but I see no other solution. This babe is taking all my energy and I need rest and quiet." I admitted. "Call the couples, if I find them agreeable, they'll foster my brothers and sisters." I finished on a sigh. I ravenously ate the food, the whole lot of it, and Thora helped me to the furs near the fire. I stretched myself on my side, the only position comfortable to me now, and she went out to call the couples.

Two of them came, one of them in their 20's, and another in their 30's. They bowed to me and I told them to sit next to me since I couldn't get up.

"Thora said you would like to talk to us, lady." A man said.

"What are your names?" I asked.

"I'm Nordvik and this is my wife, Kellfrid." Said a tall, blond man with grey eyes pointing to a dark haired, blue eyed woman.

"I'm Varda and my husband is Albrekt." Said a woman with pale green eyes with a dark haired, dark eyed man.

"Nordvik, Kellfrid, Varda and Albrekt, welcome to my home. As you can see I'm near my time, and the worse for it. My child consumes all my energy and I cannot even move properly. My siblings just got returned to me after my insane father tried to kill all of them back in my native land. They are recovering from the trauma, and scream and play the whole time. I don't have the energy or the ability to play with them, and I cannot even rest properly, the babe kicking me without stop. It is with great sorrow I decided they need to be fostered." At this, the couples brightened considerably.

"I do have a few stipulations, ladies and gentlemen. I want to see them everyday, they are very dear to my heart. As the girls grow, I want them to know who they are, where they came from, who I am to them, and how they ended with you." At their frowns, I continued explaining. "I won't remove them from you at any time if you choose to foster them. I just want them to know, to understand, to have pride in their origins, if not on the man who sired them. And I want them to keep loving me as I am to them, a sister." A tear slid down my cheek and the women hastened to assure me that they would love my brothers and sisters and visit me every day, and always make sure the children know who they are and where they came from.

"Do you live near each other?" I asked them when I calmed down.

"Yes lady, we have adjacent houses." Nordvik answered.

"Would you mind of keeping the twins with one couple and the girls with another? They have never been separated and it is more easy for them if they are kept together."

"Of course, my lady. When can we take them home?" Varda asked with a radiant smile on her face.

"Come by everyday so they get to know you. Aiken and Alvar are old enough to understand and they clearly saw what our father did. It would be better for you to gain their trust first."